Sexlink or Australorp?

cnjtnt

Chirping
11 Years
Nov 17, 2009
Federal Way, WA
We've got 3 Orpingtons, 2 EEs (hoping they are pullets...we'll see
wink.png
). In spring, we're looking to get Black Australorps, Welsummers, and Partridge Wyandottes. Our primary concern is overall "fun" and the flock has to be able to bear confinement well (we've got a coop and a fairly decent sized run, but no free range just yet). Has to be friendly with kids. I'm told Australorps are stunning in the sunlight, and lay pretty dang well. HOw do they compare with Black Sex links? Any pros or cons? I think I like the Australorp, but I also really like to get max egg production.

I don't know anything about Australorps but I love my black sexies. They are big beautiful birds that give large to xlarge brown eggs. I have 3 that are going into their 4th year and still giving eggs daily

In my own little experience-

Our Welsummer is a wonderful bird. Smart but not a bully; a survivor but still friendly, very beautiful coloring. LOVE Welsummer. Great all-around bird. Cold doesn't seem to phase her at all and she ignores the hen issues around the place. Neutral like Switzerland lol My avatar is of her before she reached maturity and filled out- but you can see the colors. She's a gorgeous bird and well-behaved.

Our Wyandotte was very beautiful but very stand-offish--she was the only one never to eat out of our hands, no matter how many live worms we offered. She recently died (we don't know why). Beautiful, stately, meshed well with the other birds (stuck very close) but we could never get close to her and she didn't seem to do as well in cold weather.

Our Australorp is a great girl. Hardy, inquisitive, iridescent green in the sun... In the beginning, she was a bully and beat on the others to be top bird--we had to isolate her at first--despite not being biggest, but now that they've figured out the order, there's no problem. She's not as curious as the others, is a bit more cautious, but is a survivor and the cold doesn't seem to phase her. She knows us and responds.

I'd highly recommend all of those you picked!

Also, you might look into Rhode Island Reds- phenom for egg-laying but also just great birds. Our Rhode Island Red came to us later, was picked on, the smallest, but she is hands down the SMARTEST bird we have, our favorite. Our kids love her most. She 'talks' to us when we come out, comes to us first, will eat anything out of our hands, and won't squawk if we pick her up to check on her. She lays, she's OK with cold, pluckish, a great deep red coloring. Check into Rhodies! They rule! Very sweet, hardy birds. My daughter can now perfectly mimic the 'errr-errrr' low welcome of RIR and say it back to her & RIR responds! Very nice!

I've never had links before... no comparison for you, sorry. I hear they're great tho
smile.png

I think you'll enjoy any of the ones you selected- Good choices, all!

Last edited:
I have orps and sex-links. The sex-links have that RIR dna in them and sometimes show it by being aggressive. The second batch of sex-links we hatched out, are aggressive but also show a little respect to the older buff orps. Buff Orps are such sweeties that a lot of times they get pushed around a little.

we've got a black heat lamp...does that count? Our Orpingtons seem to be going strong despite mornings of 11 degrees this past week.

Back
Top Bottom