-Shadow's Story-

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by animalpro24, Jan 24, 2012.

1. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    (pictures at the bottom)
    Shadow came to us/me on November 4th 2011. In the morning my brother said "Oh my gosh there's a dog!" We all looked and saw a BEAUTIFUL big dog. At first I thought he was a husky mix. His tail was tucked under his legs and he was barking at us. Our dog, Phoebe, barked back and scared him. My mom went out and set down dog food on the porch, after a few minutes he came back and scarfed it down. We put more and more food out, he looked hungry, and he kept eating. After 30 minutes or so I decided to try and get close to him. I put food out the back door to see if we would come in to the Laundry room. He set one foot in and then ran. After an hour or so he left and we had to leave to. My mom called Animal Control before we left, I didn't want her to because I was scared of him being taken to the shelter and be put down. When we came back I looked out back at the neighbors and saw him wandering around their porch. After a few hours and multiple bowls of food He came and sat down with me in our parking lot. The UPS guy pulled in so I got up and headed out back, he didn't move. After the UPS guy left I went back to the back door and amazingly he followed me! I opened the back door but didn't go in, he went in first and I joined him. After a bit I closed the door and sat with him in there for an hour. We let him out and he wandered the house, he didn't mind Phoebe at ALL! The weird thing was that when i put a grabbed a spare collar he came right in my face and put his head in it! And he was completely groomed, ears clean, nails trimmed, and coat cut! He was even fixed! We wondered why someone wasn't looking for him.
    After almost a month he was my big boy who slept with me and phoebe EVERY night on my bed. One day I sat down and looked at dog names and called him different names and he responded to Shadow. So we named him Shadow.
    The day we were going to take him to the shelter (we couldn't find anyone who could take him) One of my dads employees with three young boys asked if they could have him over for a sleep over. After he went there he never came back. They love him to death and we couldn't ask for a better family to take him. It was a miracle!!

That is the short version. I'm to tired/lazy to right the long version. ;] First two were of the first night he was here.
    I decided that one of his parents is a German Shepherd / lab mix and his other parent is a Anatolian Shepherd.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I miss him lots but I'm glad he didn't go to the shelter and he lives 5 minutes away!

2. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Darn, I wish the pics were bigger!

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    He's very handsome [​IMG]. Glad you didn't have to take him to the shelter

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

He looks like a very nice dog and it is great that you took him in..

Quote: I do hope that you had him checked for a microchip and check lost ads and posted found ads just in case his "first family" is still looking for him. There was just a thread on BYC where someone found a dog in their coop and found she was missing from another town for 7 months and that family never gave up hope of finding her.

5. Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Arizona
    He is quite the looker!

6. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    He is a very nice dog!
    Yup we got him microchip checked and checked the local pet clinics, pet stores, websites daily, and put up signs...nothing.
    Now I'm kind of hoping his first family isn't still looking for him, cause I'd hate to take him away from his new family.
    I just hope his first family isn't devastated, that would be hard. And I would like them to know that he is perfectly safe!

7. animalpro24

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Isn't he Gorgeous, haha! Love his coloring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by