Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Thank you for the explanation. The video didn't come through, but I'm fully aware of what a bresse chicken is, having been married a long time ago to someone from the Bresse plain. Still, I'm not sure I fully understand the logic behind crossing chickens of such an opposite nature : one of the fastest most industrial chicken type, with a very old and slow growing breed, that requires specific ways of alternating pasture and cereals to develop it's unique taste. I suppose you want the best of both 🙂.
Sorry I forgot to post the link.
:p

:th

I had no idea people kept broodies in cages.
If I don't separate my broodies, they can't stick it out - there's too much disruption from others trying to either take over or add to the pile. I've found the best solution for me is a rabbit hutch. I have two - both with solid floors and removable dividers between the "den" and the open-air cage. That way, Momma isn't in the dark all day and can't get stuck in a bunny-sized doorway. They're small enough to keep on my front porch during setting. When it's time to introduce the new family to the main flock, I just move the whole thing to my coop and but it up against the main run ... instant see-no-touch access for everybody!

They also do double-duty as brooders for incubator chicks. Another bonus is that, since they match my wooden coop, they don't clutter up the yard when not in use. They just blend right in.

Too much to do today in not enough time.
Grey and overcast mostly with a few bursts of sunshine this afternoon.
We all got out for the two hours I was there. Fret had already been out once today and I picked her off the nest so she could have supper with the rest.
If Fret is going to hatch any chicks it could be this weekend. I've made a ramp for the nest box just in case and should have chick feed on Thursday. I would prefer any hatching to take place on a weekday when there is likely to be fewer people at the allotments. With a bit of luck no one will notice.
P6061246.JPG
P6061245.JPG
P6061244.JPG
P6061243.JPG

Too much to do today in not enough time.
Grey and overcast mostly with a few bursts of sunshine this afternoon.
We all got out for the two hours I was there. Fret had already been out once today and I picked her off the nest so she could have supper with the rest.
If Fret is going to hatch any chicks it could be this weekend. I've made a ramp for the nest box just in case and should have chick feed on Thursday. I would prefer any hatching to take place on a weekday when there is likely to be fewer people at the allotments. With a bit of luck no one will notice.
View attachment 3531715View attachment 3531716View attachment 3531719
Those 4 remind me so much of my 4 that run loose from first light til dark. Never tire of seeing such lovely kids.

C doesn't have anything to do with the chickens anymore.
I leave feed out for them overnight.
You vanquished the dragon ?! :wee :wee :wee
If I don't separate my broodies, they can't stick it out - there's too much disruption from others trying to either take over or add to the pile. I've found the best solution for me is a rabbit hutch. I have two - both with solid floors and removable dividers between the "den" and the open-air cage. That way, Momma isn't in the dark all day and can't get stuck in a bunny-sized doorway. They're small enough to keep on my front porch during setting. When it's time to introduce the new family to the main flock, I just move the whole thing to my coop and but it up against the main run ... instant see-no-touch access for everybody!

They also do double-duty as brooders for incubator chicks. Another bonus is that, since they match my wooden coop, they don't clutter up the yard when not in use. They just blend right in.
Old timers do exactly that here. The rabbit hutches here are very old school, not sure if they are similar to yours.

IMG_20230607_142459.jpg

06160-IM-00047_original.jpg

Attachments

• 06160-IM-00047_original.jpg
    06160-IM-00047_original.jpg
    664 KB · Views: 4
You vanquished the dragon ?! :wee :wee :wee
That’s what the Spanish Nobels did in the golden age in the south of the NL too. 🤣

Old timers do exactly that here. The rabbit hutches here are very old school, not sure if they are similar to yours.

View attachment 3532258
I tried different ways. But separating a broody in a cage with a run is the easiest IMHO …..if you get one to sit in such a cage and it’s a safe place.

Mine always wanted to brood were their normal nestbox is (where all chickens lay their eggs). People say that moving a broody hen is always a bit of a risk.
I succeeded with these options:
  • Lay a clutch of eggs in the spot you like for a seperated broody. Mine tend to fall in love with the spot with more than 4 eggs.
  • Put a box in the regular nestbox (with a layer of moisty sand, + hay, and eggs in it) and move the broody in the night with box and all. Best before you change the fake eggs for the special hatching eggs.
Didn’t do that this year because of the lay-out and lesser safety of the run with the extra nest-box. I prefer to keep the broodies in the old coop as long as there is not too much fuss.

My mower has a roll bar and a loader bucket on it. JD 1023. I got that because I was having troubles pushing the wheel barrow up the hill.... and that was before long COVID fatigue.
There's a 1960s direct burried Romex electric line to the shed that I don't know exactly where it is. I found it in a flower bed by the house, and know it's about 6 inches deep.
I figure the over anxious neighbor can mow under the string ;) And yes, call the Dig Safe people to mark that wire. Probably best to know where it is in any case.

I figure the over anxious neighbor can mow under the string ;) And yes, call the Dig Safe people to mark that wire. Probably best to know where it is in any case.
He has vision issues and probably would decapitate himself :gig although he must be able to pass the eye exam for drivers license.
Not sure who does private utilities locating here. The incoming utilities are located for free from Julie

Back
Top Bottom