Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

"It's beautiful here, but I don't think I could get used to the bugs."

Not all the bugs are bad of course. Here's some of the more benign and interesting looking ones I've snapped pics of recently:
I am afraid that I am one of those... but I do know my limitations. South Carolina pushes my comfort zone.

Those are lovely bugs!

I can't say I felt any better today but I didn't feel any worse either.
It's my eldest's 40th birthday today. On Tuesday she and her husband are off on holiday for a week as part of the celebrations.
I walk right past their house when I go to catch the train which I did tonight. It was a very strange feeling walking past while the rest of the family were gathered in the house and I couldn't walk in and join them. Obviously, still being infectious the last thing they need is to find I've passed Covid on just in time for them to fall sick on the plane.:hit
Double tear jerker when speaking to her on the phone she said she wanted me to be at her birthday celebrations more than anyone else.:hit:hit

Anyway, we'll get together when they get back from holiday and make up for it.
You are being considerate and responsible and someone has to do it. It is really unfortunate that you are being penalized because someone couldn't be as considerate. :-( When you are feeling better, you can have a separate celebration. For now, focus on getting well.

I need to get my camera out there, I have been spending a lot of time with them, but I have been focused on Blue and planning the next expansion.

The temperature sometimes drops below 30°C here. Translation: I do what I have to do to get my dinosaur fill in, and then it's back inside. No time for photos. So if I ever post any and you think to yourselves "hey that looks like summer" yes, it probably is

Absolutely. Thank you for understanding that. The same visitors who marvel over the spectacular bird diversity are often the same ones to comment, "It's beautiful here, but I don't think I could get used to the bugs." Not only are there ridiculous numbers of lice, mites, and sticktight fleas present in our climate, we humans endure clouds of bloodsucking mosquitos, midges, biting gnats, and ticks. And then there are other insects that bite to inject their eggs under your skin and causes a flesh eating disease called leishmaniasis -- which I and everyone else who lives here has had at some point.

Thankfully, we don't have malaria or yellow fever at our altitude, but we do have dengue as well as species of hookworms that carry extremely dangerous strains of bronchitis and pneumonia. One of our precious pups died at 20 months old from hookworm carried pneumonia. All of our animals are on deworming schedules, but still ... Parasites exist for a reason. And that reason is to control overpopulation of other species. Like us, and our chickens and our dogs.

Interestingly, people in lowland tropical areas belonging to indigenous tribes and nations have much lower incidences of parasite borne infections, or, when infections are present, they are seldom as serious as when new settlers contract them. But the same indigenous people are much more highly susceptible to serious and fatal outcomes from contracting viruses and/or bacteria. For example, while smallpox killed about 3 in 10 Europeans at the time of "New World" colonization, it killed 9 out of 10 natives. Acquired immunity only explains this partly -- it turns out that human immune systems can evolve over time to combat the pathogens most present in their environment. For indigenous people living in warm humid conditions, that's parasites. For Europeans who were basically living in their own sewage and excrement at the time, resistance to bacterias was high, but many succumbed to parasites once here in South America.

At any rate, I do the best I can for the chickens in my care. They have great coops for lowering the rate of infestation, great diets, and an incredible buffet of bugs and plants to forage all day every day. I have to accept they are going to get parasites and try my best to eliminate or at least manage the ones they get.

Not all the bugs are bad of course. Here's some of the more benign and interesting looking ones I've snapped pics of recently:

View attachment 3644362
View attachment 3644363
View attachment 3644364
View attachment 3644365
View attachment 3644366
That butterfly!!! :love

Thanks for the info about indigenous vs. immigrants and ability to ward off disease etc. I found it interesting!

Three hours today. One and half hours this morning and the same this evening with a nap at home inbetween. Mostly dry but windy with 35mph gusts. The chickens don't like the wind.
Roosting was more peacable this evening, problably because Fret took them in a bit later and Henry and Carbon had settled.

I can't say I felt any better today but I didn't feel any worse either.
It's my eldest's 40th birthday today. On Tuesday she and her husband are off on holiday for a week as part of the celebrations.
I walk right past their house when I go to catch the train which I did tonight. It was a very strange feeling walking past while the rest of the family were gathered in the house and I couldn't walk in and join them. Obviously, still being infectious the last thing they need is to find I've passed Covid on just in time for them to fall sick on the plane.:hit
Double tear jerker when speaking to her on the phone she said she wanted me to be at her birthday celebrations more than anyone else.:hit:hit

Anyway, we'll get together when they get back from holiday and make up for it.
View attachment 3644410View attachment 3644411View attachment 3644412View attachment 3644413View attachment 3644414View attachment 3644415View attachment 3644416
Look at those butterballs! They're getting so big.

I think that chicken watching is excellent therapy for most of what ails us. I don't sit in the run much lately, this time of year the mosquitoes are fierce, but I do visit and speak with individuals in the flock while I am cleaning the waterers, adding to the feeder, etc. I'll be bent over doing some chore inside the run, look up and be eye to eye with one of the pullets. They'll make little squeaky noises at me, and I respond.

Martha still pecks my skirt, for attention (treats).
IMG_20230924_150042053~2.jpg

The temperature sometimes drops below 30°C here. Translation: I do what I have to do to get my dinosaur fill in, and then it's back inside. No time for photos. So if I ever post any and you think to yourselves "hey that looks like summer" yes, it probably is
I am happiest around 10 - 20 C, and I prefer rainy moody skies. My husband says I am more English than he is. LOL

Back
Top Bottom