Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Such a different world today
During hunting season guns were brought to grade school so we could hunt on the way home. Never heard of anyone shooting up the place or each other.
High school most took a bus and I don't remember seeing any guns except for hunter education and skeet shooting.
Yup. Every kid here in rural Ecuador carries a machete. Never know when you might want to cut down a bunch of bananas!

Ex Batts good morning one and all!

I don't get vaccinations for the flu, for pneumonia, and for covid.

I would resist the covid vaccination as it was made and used so quickly.

They didn't have time to test it and find out what quirks would come with it.

I worked in the medical field for 46 years.

The conditions way back were not as good as they are today.

Temperature is in the 70s.

Have a great day!

Personally I'm all for giving every single American man, woman, and child as many 1780s era rifles and musket balls as they want. Hand'em out on every corner. I doubt we'd see a mass shooting every day and we'd still be honoring exactly what the founding fathers intended in their historical context. Although emergency rooms would probably be overflowing with people wounded from backfired muskets... There's a reason those rifles came with bayonets.

Edited to say that the rifles and muskets would be in replacement -- not addition to -- the semi-automatic spray guns currently available and so popular at the daily mall/school shooting.

modern firearms only.

Such a different world today
During hunting season guns were brought to grade school so we could hunt on the way home. Never heard of anyone shooting up the place or each other.
High school most took a bus and I don't remember seeing any guns except for hunter education and skeet shooting.
Because it is not the guns, it is the people. Respect, honour and integrity have been replaced by virtue signaling.

We got out for about an hour and a half this morning. This afternoon it rained and nobody was interested in being out in that.
It's due to get colder so it's winter kit inspection this evening.
I saw the chick I think is female groom Henry this morning🥰

"That's one more out!"
PA132510.JPG

PA132506.JPG
PA132508.JPG
PA132512.JPG
PA132511.JPG
PA132505.JPG
PA132514.JPG

but why is the Australian government allowing one of its own citizens, Julian Assange, to be imprisoned, tortured, extradited and tried for treason under US law? Can one really trust a government that won't claim or assist its own citizen, who has committed no crime under their law, just to avoid the wrath of the U.S? Hmm.
Amen. Assange is a hero. It breaks my heart to see how he's treated.

Tax. Meimei is in all three pictures. She is sick today though, maybe suffering sour crop from molting. Will assess tomorrow morning.
20230928_172919.jpg
20230929_173831.jpg
20230930_130628.jpg

Crop is full of liquid and squishy this morning :(. We have started some treatment.
I dealt with a few episodes of sour crop last year after some hens found a fallen bunch of rotting fermenting bananas and gorged on them -- peels and all.

I had the best results doing the following.

1. No food for 24 hours. Only water with apple cider vinegar added.

2. Crop massage every two hours

3. If the crop has gone done by the next morning, I give the bird an Epsom salt flush, wait for her to poop, then offer some scrambled egg. And keep the bird on a restricted high protein diet for a few days while monitoring.

This was enough treatment for one hen. She didn't have a fungal infection, yet, she was just backed up with fermented banana goop. For the other (who eventually died a year later from reproductive issues), I had to do the following:

1. Make her vomit the crop contents. I know some people say this is risky, but when a bird has gunky liquid coming out of her beak, she can choke to death on that too. Getting it out can really help her clear what's in there so you can start treatment. Be firm and quick about it. I think people cause the bird undue stress by hesitating in the action. Hold the chicken securely, tip her whole body downward, press (don't squeeze) on the crop. Count to 4. If liquid is coming out, great, but don't hold her upside down for more than 4 seconds. Set her down and let her shake her head and catch her breath. Repeat if necessary.

2. Start treatment with acidified copper sulfate. One half teaspoon dissolved in a gallon of water with a teaspoon apple cider vinegar added to make it palatable. Make sure that's the only water she drinks for 5 days. I've tried both Nystatin and clotrimazole but found acidified copper sulfate to be the most effective. But some people have good results with clotrimazole or micozanole so you can try those first. And you can get them without prescription at a pharmacy (sold as vaginal creams for yeast infections)

3. Also lots of crop massage and a high protein restricted diet helps.
Eventually, the second hen's reproductive problems caused her to decline, but I was able to get her crop working again with the treatment and she lived another year.

This article by @TwoCrows if you haven't read it is really helpful and informative on different crop problems and treatments.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...p-disorders.67194/?page=10#ams-comment-525417

I hope the best for your girl. I found sometimes crop problems are just from indigestion or molting and can be cured. But sometimes they are a symptom of an underlying cause so I hope that's not the case here. 💜

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom