Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Dogs with a prey drive do kill live stock. So many injure and kill chickens, sheep and other animals. Some even attack humans. You cant just say it’s the humans (boss) fault. The strong prey drive is in some dogs without training them for it.

Next an example, but things likes this happen all the time: My brother and my parents lived next to each other. My brother had a Bouvier and my mother had chickens. One day, out of the blue the dog jumped into the run and killed two chickens. Dogs are descendants of wolves and some are not fit to live freely amongst livestock or amongst people.

In England there are a few breeds that are not allowed for this reason.
https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/banned-dogs
Here we don’t have a list like this but plastic surgeons did make an appeal to our gov. a few months ago, because they see a lot of (unnecessary) damages from certain types of dogs.
An animals natural instinct does not make it bad, people who ignorantly keep animals without the knowledge and dedication to do so responsibly are the problem. Humans have the ability to reason, supposedly on a higher level than other creatures, but rarely take any responsibility for their own actions. So your family was irresponsible and did not secure the chickens or the dog to prevent an attack. That makes the dog bad how?

It seems that ghastly mash up of religious fundamentalism. paganism and commercial enterprise called Christmas is upon us once again. I know this because I'm getting bits of coloured cardboard through my post box and the supermarkets have repackaged the same shite they've been selling all year in something that looks festive and special and put the price up.

As happens most years it's the time when people send me stuff I've already said I didn't want, or need and now expect to be thanked for it.:he
I'll be spending Christmas day with my eldest and a few friends.
I thought this was an interesting take on the Christmas Tree.
View attachment 3710400

One here for Molpet.
View attachment 3710397
Made me smile.
View attachment 3710398
No snow, no little kids, this is just a quiet 4-day weekend, perfect for steam cleaning carpets and puttering around the house, spending extra time with the chickens and dogs.

I'm a bit concerend now and wondering if this lack of knowledge on the matter of a creatures sex is responsible for the lack of success many seem to have with male chickens.
I wonder, who can give me a reasonably comprehensive list of the differences between a male and a female chicken?
It's not as easy as one might think.
I wouldn't know where to begin, but hey, we're all kinds of confused around here. Exhibit A: Pinkie the Hen.

No wonder we are confused; another way in which birds are smarter than us - they always know who is who. Robins (British ones) look identical to us but manage to raise young every year. Goldfinch breeders can tell the sexes apart (close observation) but ornithologists can’t.
The Stilton test is great as is Pinkie!
Found this which explains a lot I think.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...a-chicken-has-its-own-male-or-female-identity
Birds way more complicated than at first glance into their biology.

An animals natural instinct does not make it bad, people who ignorantly keep animals without the knowledge and dedication to do so responsibly are the problem.
Okay, its not the dogs fault he attacks, its the humans fault who has a dog who attacks. Like its not the fox fault he attacks. But there is a big difference. Foxes are wild animals.
Dogs that have been bred to fight or hunt are not suitable pets imho. Imho it should be forbidden to keep such dogs as pets.

If someone owns a known dangerous breed for hunting or as a watch dog, he should be held responsible if anything goes wrong. And since we are talking about murder weapons an obliged licence/permit to keep such dogs is not a bad idea if you ask me. C
Humans have the ability to reason, supposedly on a higher level than other creatures,
Compared to what? Do they really? You don’t have to answer these questions.
but rarely take any responsibility for their own actions. So your family was irresponsible and did not secure the chickens or the dog to prevent an attack. That makes the dog bad how?
The dog was trained as a watch dog on the farm. To walk around the stables within the gates. His main value was to alarm my brother if there was an unknown trespasser. She was a friendly dog but not a real pet.
After a second incident, my brother (or the vet) killed the dog because he couldn’t trust him anymore.
My brother had/trained other Bouviers before and after. But this was the only one who escaped to hunt.

Yep, we celebrate now because the toddler just loves all the festive magic. But Christmas day, we stay home. If people want to wish us well they can through Facebook.
As for proper dogs...my pomeranian is quite an accomplished hunter and guardian, despite his small size. He's prevented a break-in even!
20231202_142627.jpg

And of course let me follow up with some chicken tax. :) turns out I have six girls (one is just barely visible as a black blob on the right side here)
20231222_102845.jpg
20231204_141704.jpg
Here she is, the friendliest one.
Wishing you steady health and recovery. I have learned a lot on this thread.

I made it. Two hours. Damp, windy and cold.
From what I could see C has done more than I expected. Well done C. The treasurer came to the field while I was there for a chat and to see how I was. They were the only person who did exactly what was asked of them without fuss or drama. Everybody came out. I don't think they had been out of the run for over a week.
I didn't give any of them a check over but from their behaviour they seem no worse for their confinement. The run is 6m x 6m which is larger than many for five chickens. No tangible signs they missed me apart from a few moments with Henry.
PC232966.JPG

PC232969.JPG
PC232968.JPG
PC232967.JPG

PC232972.JPG
PC232973.JPG

Back
Top Bottom