Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Same when you make kefir. If you catch it early it is all fermented milk. Wait a day and it separates into kefir ‘cream cheese’ and liquid whey.

The benefit of kefir grains or a live Greek yoghurt starter is that you never get the icky smell of off milk and it is not random bacteria from someone’s hands that are doing the work.
Yuck. That last thought grosses me out. I need to look into kefir grains.

Tax for all the milk talk. Bridge, my alpha. She’ll be six at the end of February. She seems to be headed into a second molt (note the lone tail feather and she still has unpreened feathers on her neck).
C6D64ACE-E39A-4487-8CE8-39871E417F08.jpeg

Last edited:
Yuck. That last thought grosses me out. I need to look into kefir grains.
Sorry - didn't mean to gross anyone out. Milk that is just left to go 'off' smells nasty to me, whereas yoghurt and kefir don't smell bad at all.
You can purchase kefir grains on Amazon and from kefir dedicated websites but equally any local enthusiasts will likely be happy to send you some for free.
I would be happy to send you some next time I divide the colony, though just like anything live in the mail the shorter time in transit the better so may be worth finding someone closer by.
:oops:

Sorry - didn't mean to gross anyone out. Milk that is just left to go 'off' smells nasty to me, whereas yoghurt and kefir don't smell bad at all.
You can purchase kefir grains on Amazon and from kefir dedicated websites but equally any local enthusiasts will likely be happy to send you some for free.
I would be happy to send you some next time I divide the colony, though just like anything live in the mail the shorter time in transit the better so may be worth finding someone closer by.
:oops:
No apologies necessary! It was the random bacteria off someone’s hands that grossed me out. No, thank you! :lau

Last edited:
Same when you make kefir. If you catch it early it is all fermented milk. Wait a day and it separates into kefir ‘cream cheese’ and liquid whey.

The benefit of kefir grains or a live Greek yoghurt starter is that you never get the icky smell of off milk and it is not random bacteria from someone’s hands that are doing the work.
Wow. I really must get the time to do this :drool kefir cream cheese omg that sounds soooooo lovely

Back
Top Bottom