Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

You may have skimmed my post :gig like I said, because chickens hide sickness by the time we notice a sick bird, if it has something contagious then it may have already spread. And if the others are fine, then it's not contagious. Either way, leave sick birds with their friends.
Sorry, I said quarantine meaning isolation for a sick bird. And although I agree with you, I am certainly not an expert, and when we got our first illness and looked up on what to do isolation was often the first advice given on chicken blogs by people who make a living out of it. Put the chicken in a small box or cage on its own and cover it in the dark so it can rest.

I had Mr. Bumble inside so I could more easily keep an eye on him. Plus it was convenient to just be able to scoop him up right there to feed him.

I agree isolation does make sense when you have to closely monitor what a chicken eats or drinks. I have noticed they can sometimes pretend to eat and not actually eat anything, which is difficult to see when they are with the flock. I also agree it's necessary if you need to protect them from the rest of the flock.

isolation was often the first advice given on chicken blogs
Right at first, with a chicken who has some problem and an inexperienced owner, it probably is a good idea (at least for the first few hours) for the reasons you list and a few more.

I agree isolation does make sense when you have to closely monitor what a chicken eats or drinks....I also agree it's necessary if you need to protect them from the rest of the flock.
Yes, all of those, and you can also check the droppings more easily. You can also provide a different temperature if needed (warmer or colder, depending on what temperatures are outside, in the house, in the garage or basement, etc.)

I think isolating the chicken (private cage) is good for a chicken who needs protection from flockmates. If they need frequent treatment, it may also be less stressful for the bird or the person to have them in a cage easy to grab.

The other reasons are mostly "good" for letting the person more easily tell what they are dealing with. (But since new owners may not realize how vicious chickens can be to each other, they may not correctly recognize when the chicken needs protection either, so separating it while they get further advice often does make sense.)

If the chicken's needs can be met while living freely with the flock, or in a safe cage adjoining the flock, then I agree that it is better to do that. And I also agree that a contagious disease would already have spread to any other chickens in the same flock, so there's no point in separating one to "protect" the rest.

Last edited:
What a cute face! Don't know what he sees in seksis though because she is the most un-cute hen 😂.
Skeksis is awesome. Definitely the smartest chicken we've ever had. Mr. Bumble has been infatuated with her ever since he was a little nugget. She doesn't seem to feel the same way. She runs away every time he dances for her.

So funny how they like different things, mine will not touch carrots. They are worse than leeks in their view. :lau
The other thing that is interesting to me is some food preferences appear to be shared (none of mine like carrots) and some seem to be individual (the Roadrunners love Kiwi fruit, the others despise it).
:idunno
Mine only likes steamed carrots I'm thinking of hiring a cor blimey chef for my little picky girls

Hello from us :)
20220208_153133.jpg

20220208_153105.jpg

The vet I have found who is able to care for chickens (not an avian vet per se but keeps her own flock) is a strong advocate of keeping a sick chicken in with the rest of their tribe. Even if they need protection from attack she recommends trying to isolate them but within the coop. Her argument is based on the emotional wellbeing of the chicken and the role that plays in recovery. Her belief is that stressing a sick chicken is not conducive to them recovering.
I am sure there aren't studies to support that but it feels like common sense to me so I have tried to follow her advice.

Tax: Dotty molting in January after she spent the morning standing out in the sleet and got sopping wet (there is no helping some chickens!)

View attachment 2985657View attachment 2985658View attachment 2985659
I found that even those chickens that were used to being in my house, perhaps having sat and hatched or visiting on a daily basis wanted to be able to mix with the others of their tribe and wanted to roost with them which seemed of particular importance.

So funny how they like different things, mine will not touch carrots. They are worse than leeks in their view. :lau
The other thing that is interesting to me is some food preferences appear to be shared (none of mine like carrots) and some seem to be individual (the Roadrunners love Kiwi fruit, the others despise it).
:idunno
Carrots have not been popular with most chickens I've known unless they are cooked.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom