Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Regarding leeks. I have one word for you RC : Compost.

Once all those bits they turn their beaks up at decompose they can have fun turning the compost heap over looking for worms. 😁
Don’t worry. Everything gets composted either inside the Chicken Palace or in the compost heap.

Yeah, that’s why I like to grate a couple options. Today I tried broccoli stems along with tge zucchini and carrot. They were not interested, but they also used to ignore carrot. 🤣
It is funny how much their tastes differ. I've learned to bring kale stems for the roosters and one Langshan hen and kale leaves for all the others. Our hen named Carrots likes raw carrots more than anyone else, though she was named Carrots long before we knew that. Funny how their names work out.

The cutest thing is our rooster with a sweet tooth. Hand him nasturtium flowers or pumpkin, and he'll tidbit all day, but it torments him to share ripe pears or little bits of banana. He'll do it, but only until each girl has had a bite. After that, it's game on.

Tax: Sweet-toothed Stilton herding Frida Bakawlo, a.k.a., the One-Wattle Wonder, after she wandered too far from the flock.
StiltonFrida-herding.jpg

Look how proud he is when she listened to him. That's what a smiling chicken looks like.
StiltonFrida2.jpg

A neighbor saves some of her kitchen scraps for me for my chickens. Recently it's been carrot peels, and my birds like them quite well.
Mine will eat peels also, but they don’t care for whole carrots. I think it’s easier for them to whip the peel around and break off pieces.

Think your did great with the phone. Don't sell yourself as not good with it.
I agree penny! I thought those pictures were fine.

It is funny how much their tastes differ. I've learned to bring kale stems for the roosters and one Langshan hen and kale leaves for all the others. Our hen named Carrots likes raw carrots more than anyone else, though she was named Carrots long before we knew that. Funny how their names work out.

The cutest thing is our rooster with a sweet tooth. Hand him nasturtium flowers or pumpkin, and he'll tidbit all day, but it torments him to share ripe pears or little bits of banana. He'll do it, but only until each girl has had a bite. After that, it's game on.

Tax: Sweet-toothed Stilton herding Frida Bakawlo, a.k.a., the One-Wattle Wonder, after she wandered too far from the flock.
View attachment 2988330
Look how proud he is when she listened to him. That's what a smiling chicken looks like.
View attachment 2988331
He does look very pleased with himself! Beautiful roo!

Tax:
Goldilocks and Ginger. Ginger is in front in the two pictures with both of them. Now that they’re finishing up their juvenile molt, I’m better able to tell the difference between the two. Goldilocks has always had more white on her neck, and she also has a little white mottling on her wings. Ginger is looking like she’s going to be a bit bigger than Goldilocks.

Attachments

• 60117F7A-1F98-4EFF-AF6D-DBF1BEA9EF77.jpeg
    60117F7A-1F98-4EFF-AF6D-DBF1BEA9EF77.jpeg
    615.5 KB · Views: 1
  • D95DC3C5-829E-4B0B-B193-50BA98EB54CB.jpeg
    D95DC3C5-829E-4B0B-B193-50BA98EB54CB.jpeg
    763.2 KB · Views: 1
  • C18D89CA-C082-4397-9C88-32C9FCD75AD5.jpeg
    C18D89CA-C082-4397-9C88-32C9FCD75AD5.jpeg
    614.5 KB · Views: 1

View attachment 2988330
View attachment 2988331
Wonderful. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom