Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Meanwhile back in the jungle, or the undersized, overcrowded coop in this instance...
This was Saturday. The weather was horrid. Windy, cold and wet in the late afternoon while I was there. A few ventured out when the rain turned to drizzle but went back in pretty rapidly when the rain started again. They got fed and cleaned out and their water done and that was that. I sort of slopped my way home with considerable mud splash adhered to the bottoms of my overalls. A bad day was had by all.
P2120361.JPG
P2120362.JPG

Over the past two to three weeks this is what I find when I get to the allotments. The feed I left in the night before has gone and the chickens are obviously hungry. Getting C to say exactly what they feed them in the morning and how much is next to impossible. Essentially one gets a rage fit and accused of not thinking they know how to look after what they rather oddly call livestock.
I bring a kilo of feed with me every day plus treat food and weather permitting and me arriving on time, which hasn't been the case for the past few days, they go to roost with full crops and that is the most important thing. Not having feed available during the day is bad practice when there is nothing to forage in the run which has been the case for many years now. A bit of breakfast which they get because there is still a decent amount of feed in the round feeder when they go to roost helps. They also get whatever C feeds them (read not much here)
What happens if I don't give them the kilo I bring at night? It's dark when C returns from work so even if C went to the allotments with feed for them which is doubtfull, they won't eat it because they've gond to roost. Basically they'll go to roost with a largely empty crop if their last meal was in the morning.
Anyway, these are the empty feeders on my arrival.
P2130363.JPG
P2130364.JPG
This is after I've put the liko of pellets I take each day.
P2130365.JPG
P2130366.JPG

Here they are out and about in the mud.
P2130367.JPG

Over the past two to three weeks this is what I find when I get to the allotments. The feed I left in the night before has gone and the chickens are obviously hungry. Getting C to say exactly what they feed them in the morning and how much is next to impossible. Essentially one gets a rage fit and accused of not thinking they know how to look after what they rather oddly call livestock.
I bring a kilo of feed with me every day plus treat food and weather permitting and me arriving on time, which hasn't been the case for the past few days, they go to roost with full crops and that is the most important thing. Not having feed available during the day is bad practice when there is nothing to forage in the run which has been the case for many years now. A bit of breakfast which they get because there is still a decent amount of feed in the round feeder when they go to roost helps. They also get whatever C feeds them (read not much here)
What happens if I don't give them the kilo I bring at night? It's dark when C returns from work so even if C went to the allotments with feed for them which is doubtfull, they won't eat it because they've gond to roost. Basically they'll go to roost with a largely empty crop if their last meal was in the morning.
Anyway, these are the empty feeders on my arrival.
View attachment 2994146View attachment 2994147 This is after I've put the liko of pellets I take each day.
View attachment 2994148View attachment 2994149
Here they are out and about in the mud.View attachment 2994150
You're a good man, Shad. I don't think I could keep my temper with C. I know she pretty much got left with the chickens by default but the least she could do is rehome them if she doesn't want to be bothered.

I'm having a few technical difficulties as they say; Internet problems mainly on the technical side. I'm using my phone as a modem currently while I wait for a more usual net connection.
On the non technical side things have gone super funky at the allotments. There is something seriously wrong going on there.
Up to now I've been reluctant to go into much detail about what goes on at the allotments outside my small world of chickens; mainly because it's always drama and the actors can't put on a decent production.:rolleyes:
I've done my utmost to stay out of the wannabe smallholders disputes, complaints and general bitching.
I'm going to be writing a bit, maybe a lot about this in the near future.
No, it's not really funny but I am surprised you've been able to keep your opinions to yourself for so long! :lau

Last edited:
no, it;s not really funny but I am surprised you've been able to keep your opinions to yourself for so long! :lau
I assure you my self restraint has impressed me.:D
That all came to an abrupt end this weekend past but even so the outburst was extremely moderate by my standards.

This was Saturday. The weather was horrid. Windy, cold and wet in the late afternoon while I was there.
It was the same here; grim; the sort of day that makes everyone miserable and desperate to say goodbye winter, hello spring! We have two named storms rolling in to look forward to for the rest of this week, but it will make us really appreciate the sunny days when they return :)

Back
Top Bottom