Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Could the umbrella organization help you with meeting the poultry's needs? With materials, or labour, or both?

I realize I'm way behind on my taxes; the weather's been so awful I've hardly taken a photo for months! But today is sunny, despite 3rd named storm here in 5 days (!!!), so here's young Phoenix, who I'm sure will challenge Chirk for the throne in due course; he challenged Sven yesterday... fiery Spanish genes there!
View attachment 3000396
I don't know Perris. I'm trying very hard not to get involved in the allotment side of things. There are reasons for this but I've just been too busy to get them posted.
My concern is for the so called livestock. The other community farms/smallholdings I've visited in the area don't keep livestock, mainly for the reasons I mentioned above.

This idea of "let's get some chickens (ducks, geese, goats, sheep, rabbits, ect.)!" expanded rapidly in my area with the the start of the pandemic. All of a sudden everyone needed to feel like they lived on a farm. Soon the prime question people asked you once they figured out that you have animals was "how do I take a vacation even though I have chickens and (fill in the blank)?" A couple of months later, the local newspaper ads are full of people trying to get rid of their pandemic animals once they got old enough for the cuteness factor to wear off. Or a favorite of mine is "I got Fluffy to butcher but he's too cute. Free to a good home." The issue has become so prevalent that there is an animal sanctuary being built 10 minutes down the road. The cycle just keeps repeating. Unfortunately I don't think people ever learn.
It's been a bit like that in the UK I believe with all sorts of creatures. This wasn't the case where I lived in Spain because the vast majority of people I knew either already had livestock or knew someone local they could come to an arrangement with to make sure they still had eggs and meat if things got really difficult.

It's been a bit like that in the UK I believe with all sorts of creatures. This wasn't the case where I lived in Spain because the vast majority of people I knew either already had livestock or knew someone local they could come to an arrangement with to make sure they still had eggs and meat if things got really difficult.
The reason it is so prevalent here is that so many people were able to buy houses during the pandemic and move out of the city. There have been housing developments going up in farm fields all over the place. Most people that have been here for some time already have livestock. Lots of horses, cattle, goats, and chickens around here. I have nothing against people moving out of the city but when they all impulse buy livestock and dump them 6 months later it's a lot harder to be welcoming.

The reason it is so prevalent here is that so many people were able to buy houses during the pandemic and move out of the city. There have been housing developments going up in farm fields all over the place. Most people that have been here for some time already have livestock. Lots of horses, cattle, goats, and chickens around here. I have nothing against people moving out of the city but when they all impulse buy livestock and dump them 6 months later it's a lot harder to be welcoming.
What's even worse is when ppl move out of the city to country areas, then complain about livestock, and then laws banning them are passed. If you are that repulsed by the the sound and/or smell of animals, take your behind back to the city.

Bought the chickies an organic apple when I was out. Mr. Bumble decided to attack me once I turned my back, but since he's so tiny, he just bounced off my pants.
20220221_140012.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom