Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I have a hen that lays soft spelled on and off throught the year.
Thanks for your reply. Too you both @bruceha2000

I've washed her around the vent with water and acv and oiled her inside the vent plus she's had all that shadrach mentioned he fed his little one. She doesn't seem in pain and eats and poo's well. I'm doing everything I possibly can too make her comfortable. I want her to live as much as possible. She's so contented here and loves to follow Tina and myself.

I have one hen who laid a lot of soft shelled eggs 2 years ago, to the extent that I worried quite a lot about her getting salpingitis, but she made it through with only a few calcium and vit D tablets as interventions, then last year was absolutely fine throughout, laying about 140 good eggs (not bad for a 4 year old). She resumed this year about a month ago and her eggs are fine again. So she may get better on her own @Marie2020 .

Moning X Batts. Up at crack of dawn fasting blood draw.
Did manage a tripple shot on the way home ...
Can this be tax?
004.jpg

I have one hen who laid a lot of soft shelled eggs 2 years ago, to the extent that I worried quite a lot about her getting salpingitis, but she made it through with only a few calcium and vit D tablets as interventions, then last year was absolutely fine throughout, laying about 140 good eggs (not bad for a 4 year old). She resumed this year about a month ago and her eggs are fine again. So she may get better on her own @Marie2020 .
Thanks so much . I know we shouldn't get so attached but she's just adorable and some she is so trusting of me and I really need too make her as comfortable as I can .

@Shadrach
Agatha is still laying eggs with no shell I've given them all a mix of oyster shells mixed grit and egg shells I also have the netex calcium and minerals which I'm not adding to the food right now. She is also broody . Would you have any advice please
Agatha is an Ex Battery hen yes?
She's not properly broody if she's still laying.
Unfortunately Ex Battery hens are prone to reproductive disorders and there isn't much one can do about it.:(
I don't think you have access to a vet and I don't believe you have the money to spare for an implant. Even if you did the chances of any treatment making a long term difference is slim.
This is just one of the reasons I do not recommend Ex Battery hens to people who are new to chicken keeping.
It doesn't come much tougher. Most are going to get ill and die quickly. One has to accept this and ideally, be prepared and able to put an end to their lives once their quality of life suffers.
Keeping Ex Battery hens is about doing ones utmost to provide the best life experience one can while they are healthy. Of curse,one has to get them healthy to start with and this is not always easy.
I'm sorry Marie. I would love to tell you to try this or that and let you believe there was a way to make things better. There isn't I'm sad to say. Ex Battery hens are doing well if they live for a couple of years after they are deemed spent by the battery.
Be as kind as you can to her while she lives and leave her with her chicken friends.

Opinions on straw versus cedar or pine chips for bedding for the coop?
I would consider shredded paper. It doesn't harbour mites, it can often be had for free and if the shredder chops it fine, then it's quite comfortable for the chickens. If I can, I get clean, dry, and dust free quality straw for nest boxes.
In Catalonia I kept the coop floor bedding free and just provided straw in the nest boxes. Most chickens don't sleep on the floor. Hopefully they are on roost bars.

Mine have roost bars so I may just use pine chips under the roost for easier cleanup and straw in the nest boxes. It is now warm enough to where I don't need straw for insulation.
I would consider shredded paper. It doesn't harbour mites, it can often be had for free and if the shredder chops it fine, then it's quite comfortable for the chickens. If I can, I get clean, dry, and dust free quality straw for nest boxes.
In Catalonia I kept the coop floor bedding free and just provided straw in the nest boxes. Most chickens don't sleep on the floor. Hopefully they are on roost bars.

Back
Top Bottom