Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Pictures from today. Feeder empty again.:( What's more, it's got cold again. Cold is a problem for me and them.
P3040506.JPG
P3040509.JPG
P3040510.JPG

It's getting quite hard to get Lima to stay still long enough to get a decent picture. I think I'm going to start checking her haunts for amphetamine stashes.:D
P3040511.JPG

Last edited:
Henry's comparative size is a bit of a problem. I've treated two hens recently for claw cuts on their shoulders having watched him slide off rather badly a couple of times. The cuts are not serious but I'm going to have to check his regular Ex Battery squeezes now. The larger hens, even the Lagbars are wide enough for him to get a comfortable position on their shoulders. Some of the Ex Battery hens are on the slim side.
My boy has the opposite problem. These hatchery birds are twice his size. He can't reach most of them and ends up sliding off of them when they lift their tails. He ends up doing more feather damage than he should.

Pictures from today. Feeder empty again.:( What's more, it's got cold again. Cold is a problem for me and them.
View attachment 3013887View attachment 3013888View attachment 3013889

It's getting quite hard to get Lima to stay still long enough to get a decent picture. I think I'm going to start checking her haunts for amphetamine stashes.:DView attachment 3013890
Their mud boots are quite striking :hmm Seeking the upside (as always :D) does the mud-shit bath smother the scaly leg mites, or provide any other benefit to their skin?

My boy has the opposite problem. These hatchery birds are twice his size. He can't reach most of them and ends up sliding off of them when they lift their tails. He ends up doing more feather damage than he should.
Same here with the cross-breed bantam cockerel vs ex-batts. I thought it was lack of experience since he started only three weeks ago, but I realize reading you it's probably unavoidable.

I wonder if he somehow knows because he only goes with the three smaller ex-batts even though two of them are on the more aggressive side with him.

View attachment 3013887View attachment 3013888View attachment 3013889

It's getting quite hard to get Lima to stay still long enough to get a decent picture. I think I'm going to start checking her haunts for amphetamine stashes.:DView attachment 3013890
Don't they eat more (if they have enough, that is..) due to the cold?

We've also got some cold here for the last week or so. Today it's gone up a bit to 0 /32 and we're finally getting two days of snow/rain in a row! Hurray!

Thanks to you, I looked up the definition of a holler , and learnt a new word, and a new thing. Came upon this fun facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Appalachia...-holler-to-be-more-specific/3205302592907433/
Sounds like it must be quite a specific place to grow up indeed.
@Ladies-Eight and I could have been neighbors. I grew up in a holler in east Kentucky. I could be in West Virginia in 20 minutes. Beautiful country for sure, I love the Appalachian mountains in the fall.

Back
Top Bottom