Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I've got hyssop and borage seeds coming up now; good to know they're good for bees :D
Borage will reseed like crazy though, fair warning.
The best thing for us was using lacy phacelia as a cover crop, this is our pollinators paradise, it helps our soil and it has a long flowering season. Only downhill is that it's kind of ugly 🙂.
I don’t know, I think the flowers are pretty.

This is what I use, Shad. I'm a small woman & hefting a 20k bag around is pretty much beyond me. Your shopping trolley may work short term but after years of abusing the things on boats I know it won't take long to fall apart under so much weight. This is about the same size, folds down compactly, is allowed on our buses & for longer distances only requires an ocky strap to secure things nicely. Without it I couldn't get feed from the car to the back yard. [Our lovely produce people put it in the car so I only have to manhandle it onto the trolley & drag it through the gates.]
View attachment 3029213
I do have a small sack barrow but it's on the other side of the country. I'll pick it up sometime over the next few months. Hopefully the shopping trolley will last long enough.

I believe these girls may be up to something. They were sharing a nest about 20 minutes before this photo and then went and had a very nice bathe together. This was late this afternoon and I believe both had already laid earlier in the day. I'm a bit surprised by the pairing as the hen on the right is now 2 years old and then hen in the left is one of the hatchery layers from last spring. The 2 year old considered going broody last spring but never committed. If they go broody together this would be the first hatchery bird to go broody.

IMG_20220318_161033043.jpg

Borage will reseed like crazy though, fair warning.
I love borage, but it hates my place. I've only ever managed to grow one or two, that flower in late September so it doesn't last and they don't reseed. It annoys me as it's supposed to be so easy to grow 🤬, it's the same with the nasturtiums.

This year I'm starting a bunch of both inside, hopefully I'll be more successful.

I was stuck. I didn't want to buy chicken feed through Amazon. I really wanted to support either a local pet/livestock supplier or a feed manufacturer preferably local. I've found a couple but they are quite a distance and to ensure the stuff gets delivered I have to be at one place or another for what is often an unspecified period of time. There is a pet food place in the village close to the allotments. I am so not interested in carrying a 20kg bag of feed half a mile or more!
I've used a rucksack before. Even that is hard work.
My best friend offered me her shopping trolly. She needed it for a while when she couldn't drive. I hummed and errrd a bit. Shopping trollies; they're for old frail people aren't they? Well, I slipped past the pride bit and said okay I'll give the trolley a try.
View attachment 3028149
Yes I know it's pnky red. Yup I know it looks odd in a field. Yes the bag does come off and one can strap bulkier items than the bag will hold.
I'm getting to know a few of the bus drivers now and did I get some strange looks when I got on the bus dragging the trolley behind me.:rolleyes:
Anyway, despite my reservations t worked. The trolley is rated at max load of 20kg but I could move one of my loudspeakers with it and that weighs 35kg. The trolley wasn't happy but it didn't break.
I picked up a 20kg bag of feed at the village pet supplies. After a bit of a struggle I got it in the trolley bag and headed off to the allotments. It did the job and some. It managed the rough field too.
End result.
View attachment 3028157
Even stranger, I think C must have come up on the lottery or stolen someones debit card. There are mealworms in the feed bin! and bird seed and some other stuff.
There hasn't been that much food in the bin since I've been doing the chickens.

C was at the allotments this morning apparently. Geese and chickens were out for a couple of hours. I got to the allotments at just gone 1500 and left at 1830 so a good bit of time out for the chickens.
This is them just after I opened the gate. Not hungry enough to hang around and there was still a little bit of feed in the feeder.
After a rummage and scratch in the rough they returned to my chair and settled down for a major grooming session.View attachment 3028173View attachment 3028178View attachment 3028180
Scoring that trolley for free is excellent !

Sounds like you are having a good influence on C.
She may be starting to see the difference it makes being an involved chickeneer rather than just chucking sandwiches at them and forgetting them. 👍

Back
Top Bottom