Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I do. I have three of these coops, two medium sized and one large size lodge. https://www.greenfrogdesigns.co.uk/chickens-ducks-geese/
The sizing info is there too, though I can add that, by choice and on occasion, twelve of my flock (and they're all large fowl) have packed into the large, and 8 into a medium, so they are comfortable fits (normally the birds distribute themselves more evenly). And the local govt inspector told me that if the birds can choose where to roost, and there is enough space for everybody, it does not matter how close they choose to be on any given night; regulations are designed to prevent abuse of animals that have no choice.

So, to mites. I've had two kinds occasionally over 5 years, little red spider mites when the coops were placed under some trees, and regular chicken mites both there and when they were on a concrete terrace next to a building for an AI winter. I think the red spider mites came from the trees and the chickens pick up regular mites when foraging, i.e. all the time. Most of the time the flock takes care of mites itself and mites are not apparent on them or in the coop. If they're there, red spider mites are easy to spot as they climb around outside when I take the back off the coop to poo-pick each day, and red stands out against the smooth black plastic or the green or yellow roof. An infestation of regular mites - which has happened when I had a broody - is pretty obvious too in the corners of a nest box when poo-picking, not because of colour but because there is tiny movement in the shavings (small shavings are better than large for this). The coop consists essentially of 6 sheets of tough plastic, smooth as a baby's bum on the inside, so there's almost nowhere for mites to hide. To dispose of them completely in one move, I disassemble the affected coop, wash everything with Jeyes fluid (a defra approved cleaner for poultry, good for AI too, and can be bought in a large supermarket or ironmongers for a sensible price). The nest boxes come apart the same way, and the roosts come right out. I stand them end on in the fluid while I'm cleaning other bits to ensure the holes (where the securing pins go) get thoroughly cleaned - it's one of the only places mites can hide out of sight.

Other pluses are: it's easy to move to fresh ground with 2 people (handles are built into the roof), it's well ventilated (the length of one side under the roof is crenelated, like a castle battlement, plus user adjustable holes the other side), it's rodent and predator proof (for UK predators; not sure about a bear!) - no animal has even marked the exterior. And should you have to break your chicken habit (heaven forbid!) it holds its value very well on the resale market. I've seen them go on ebay-type sites for as much as a new one! I got one of mine second hand and the seller said she was inundated with would-be buyers. And they're made of recycled agricultural plastic, so you're helping the planet! So, to conclude this lengthy answer to a very short question (!), strong plastic coops won't stop your chickens picking up mites if they free-range, but they make life very difficult for mites and very easy for chickens and their keepers.
That's pretty convincing! Especially in regard to wood prebuilt coops which are mostly sold here and are really low quality 😬.
Plastic coops seem to be a british specialty, too bad that other manufacturers than the one I cited don't go on the export market. I'm sure they would sell well. Though I suppose with Brexit it's certainly more complicated now.

Tax (though I believe @Perris should pay for such a dissertation on coops). I will pay for using the word lovely three times in ten minutes.
Little Théo is unfortunately growing into a jerk with the ladies, spring and hormons. I hope he'll grow out of it in a few months.
IMG_20220415_141759.jpg

He was very surprised when Grochatila dropped into nap attack right in front of him.
IMG_20220417_183134~2.jpg

Last edited:
I do. I have three of these coops, two medium sized and one large size lodge. https://www.greenfrogdesigns.co.uk/chickens-ducks-geese/
The sizing info is there too, though I can add that, by choice and on occasion, twelve of my flock (and they're all large fowl) have packed into the large, and 8 into a medium, so they are comfortable fits (normally the birds distribute themselves more evenly). And the local govt inspector told me that if the birds can choose where to roost, and there is enough space for everybody, it does not matter how close they choose to be on any given night; regulations are designed to prevent abuse of animals that have no choice.

So, to mites. I've had two kinds occasionally over 5 years, little red spider mites when the coops were placed under some trees, and regular chicken mites both there and when they were on a concrete terrace next to a building for an AI winter. I think the red spider mites came from the trees and the chickens pick up regular mites when foraging, i.e. all the time. Most of the time the flock takes care of mites itself and mites are not apparent on them or in the coop. If they're there, red spider mites are easy to spot as they climb around outside when I take the back off the coop to poo-pick each day, and red stands out against the smooth black plastic or the green or yellow roof. An infestation of regular mites - which has happened when I had a broody - is pretty obvious too in the corners of a nest box when poo-picking, not because of colour but because there is tiny movement in the shavings (small shavings are better than large for this). The coop consists essentially of 6 sheets of tough plastic, smooth as a baby's bum on the inside, so there's almost nowhere for mites to hide. To dispose of them completely in one move, I disassemble the affected coop, wash everything with Jeyes fluid (a defra approved cleaner for poultry, good for AI too, and can be bought in a large supermarket or ironmongers for a sensible price). The nest boxes come apart the same way, and the roosts come right out. I stand them end on in the fluid while I'm cleaning other bits to ensure the holes (where the securing pins go) get thoroughly cleaned - it's one of the only places mites can hide out of sight.

Other pluses are: it's easy to move to fresh ground with 2 people (handles are built into the roof), it's well ventilated (the length of one side under the roof is crenelated, like a castle battlement, plus user adjustable holes the other side), it's rodent and predator proof (for UK predators; not sure about a bear!) - no animal has even marked the exterior. And should you have to break your chicken habit (heaven forbid!) it holds its value very well on the resale market. I've seen them go on ebay-type sites for as much as a new one! I got one of mine second hand and the seller said she was inundated with would-be buyers. And they're made of recycled agricultural plastic, so you're helping the planet! So, to conclude this lengthy answer to a very short question (!), strong plastic coops won't stop your chickens picking up mites if they free-range, but they make life very difficult for mites and very easy for chickens and their keepers.
That's good to know! Thank you for explaining so well.

Agatha had a bad crop this morning and I helped her to clear it. I was worried and brought her inside for a little while too clean up her bottom and she ate a couple of blueberries

I'm sad because princess is bullying big time the two little ones are terrified of her it's mainly at meal times and at night.

After a few nights of putting her too bed in the run and perches section I tried again too let them settle together but she literally jumped on Tina , Agatha has gone down hill (another English saying) fast I feel this is princesses doing.

I was telling my neighbor all this a couple of nights ago and that I had too find somewhere else for princess (this was si peculiar)...
Yesterday the smaller coop was cleared and that is where I intended her too sleep .
Last night when the time came for them too be locked princess just went right into that coop with no management at all and settled inside. It's almost like she understood exactly what was said the night before.
Probably not, but strange nonetheless.

Agatha is eating and drinking again and when princess was out everyone avoided her including flexi. So I am now looking for a taller coop, I don't trust princess anymore. She still get treats but she's kept separately for now and has her freedom on her own :( I'm hoping she is going to learn not to attack and can mix with them during the day

Thanks for sharing this information :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom