Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I have always fed chick starter feed or broiler feed as it's called in some places. I've also fed the medicated version whenever I've been able to get it right back to the 1960's.
The chick feed in the 60's was different but still commercially produced.
On this forum on threads other than this I've always recommended it and would still do so.
Here on this thread which most won't read it's good to have some alternative views and like Perris, I'm very interested in old school chicken keeping books and advice. Some really did know an awful lot about chickens. They were probably not the type of chickens the majority of the contributors to BYC get I must admit.
Just curious on your preference for medicated feed? I usually forgo it unless Corid is needed later.

The new coop is on it's way!:weeIt should be here by the end of the week.
Not the best of weeks for it to arrive because I've got more on than I can cope with at the moment.
I've got a neat little hole in my palm as well from a very stroppy rooster an old friend of mine keeps.:D I'm getting slow in my senior years. I went to help him do the roosters spurs and toe nails and we attempted it during daylight hours while his hens were out.:he

Just curious on your preference for medicated feed? I usually forgo it unless Corid is needed later.
It's because coccidiosis kills chicks really quickly. In a confined environment where the keeper checks the chicks on a regular basis the signs are usually seen early enough and treated. With free rangers especially if there are a lot of them with chicks you may not see the chicks for a couple of days and that could be too late.
The farm I worked on in Hertfordshire might have had a hundred chick, or more at any one time and you just couldn't check them all every day.
On my uncles farm it was just standard practice with all the chicks, battery and free rangers.
In Catalonia before I arrived they had had lots of chicks die very quickly mainly because they used an incubator and when the first feathers came through, they let them out onto natural ground. Resistance to coccidiosis is built up by low level exposure with chicks that don't get medicated feed but it needs to start as early as possible.

It's because coccidiosis kills chicks really quickly. In a confined environment where the keeper checks the chicks on a regular basis the signs are usually seen early enough and treated. With free rangers especially if there are a lot of them with chicks you may not see the chicks for a couple of days and that could be too late.
The farm I worked on in Hertfordshire might have had a hundred chick, or more at any one time and you just couldn't check them all every day.
On my uncles farm it was just standard practice with all the chicks, battery and free rangers.
In Catalonia before I arrived they had had lots of chicks die very quickly mainly because they used an incubator and when the first feathers came through, they let them out onto natural ground. Resistance to coccidiosis is built up by low level exposure with chicks that don't get medicated feed but it needs to start as early as possible.
I see. That makes sense. And thankfully isn’t an issue when I raise them in the garage in smaller groups. Thank you for explaining!

The broody Ex Battery hen gave up after 39 hours of sitting.:confused:
It's a start.
Do you have secret plans (for after finishing the new setup) to buy a Wyandotte, Cochin , a big Silkie or another breed that is famous for staying broody for 3 weeks?
It would be a great for maintenance of the flock.

I had a bantam breed (2 hens) who never were broody, and a mix of my Dutch and this breed (Naine de Tournaisis ) is never broody either.
I've only ever had one bantam never go broody on me ~ a minature Wyandotte. I presently have Japs, Wyandottes, D'Uccles ~ frizzled & non~frizzled ~ & all these breeds have been chronic broodies. I may let some of them sit next year as they have proven determined.

Bantam Cochins or Silkies maybe?
Naine de Tournaisis (a breed that was almost extinct) from Belgium.
23018DA3-5AA4-415D-8D8C-4E73875829B0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom