Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I read that broodies could start sending their chicks away from that time and just did not think "from" meant they could keep them longer 🙄. Of course you're right! She loves caring for them, it's obvious she is way more happy now than before she had them so there's no reason to believe she would put an early end to their bond! Thank you so much !
My Dutch tend to stay with the little ones for 8 weeks. And it wouldn't surprise me is a broody makes this decision after she knows it's okay to leave them. A little chick may extend her care.

So, last year I brought up and left my old mini coop w/5 nest boxes. It can split into a broody or quarantine or intro etc. Sleeps 6 nicely. Also converted an old Hawaiian horse trailer into just sleep protection as I too just want safe sleeping quarters. The run is about 25x40.View attachment 3169716View attachment 3169717
I did fashion some solid hops and roosts in the trailer coop and it can sleep about 15-20 (?) comfortably and safely.
And they have a whole forest to wander fairly freely. No predators cept possible people and dogs on rare occasions, maybe. Last year 0View attachment 3169724View attachment 3169759
My dream goal is to have 2 functioning flocks. Beetles and Spiders. Beetle has not incorporated into the flock yet. Look but don't touch only. He is about 10 months old (I think) and in his own quarters. I'd like him to peacefully care for 12 of his own girls. I was going to do his intro at home when I took Spider and the A-team up but my concern is when I bring them down.
Did I explain any of that a little better? Currently Spider is in charge of all hens, pullets and chicks.
Looks like a lovely summer spot

Not to rub salt in your egg wounds @BDutch but this is my black Jap Chavi who decided to go broody this week, in the middle of winter!
View attachment 3170245
This is what I found under her.
No, not all the eggs are hers. She had help. :he
View attachment 3170246
:lauI love this social, unreliable, unexpected and idiotic behavior of bantams.

Some bantams are not the broody types. I had 2 Naine de Tournaisis that never went broody. They lay quit well. One laid in winter as well. But they both didn't live long. 😢
This breed is quit rare, even in North-West Europe (origin is near the border of France and Belgium). People kept this breed on boats until the second WW.

1656689757147.png

Obvious the rooster had to go because in spring he woke us at 5. But he stayed long enough to fertilize some eggs. Janice is his daughter. She is a very frightened type. The others chicks were all boys.

The lady on the left was a very funny chicken. Liked do do tricks for a snack. She always jumped on a swing when I was approaching with treats.
One day she started to lay eggs without a shell now and then and probably died of complications only 3 years old. The other Tournaisis passed away very suddenly, without a clue. One day happy and active, next morning I found her cold and stiff under the roost. They were strange characters. not touchable, but I did have a few good laughs with them.

Some bantams are not the broody types. I had 2 Naine de Tournaisis that never went broody. They lay quit well. One laid in winter as well. But they both didn't live long. 😢
This breed is quit rare, even in North-West Europe (origin is near the border of France and Belgium). People kept this breed on boats until the second WW.

View attachment 3170445

Obvious the rooster had to go because in spring he woke us at 5. But he stayed long enough to fertilize some eggs. Janice is his daughter. She is a very frightened type. The others chicks were all boys.

The lady on the left was a very funny chicken. Liked do do tricks for a snack. She always jumped on a swing when I was approaching with treats.
One day she started to lay eggs without a shell now and then and probably died of complications only 3 years old. The other Tournaisis passed away very suddenly, without a clue. One day happy and active, next morning I found her cold and stiff under the roost. They were strange characters. not touchable, but I did have a few good laughs with them.
Beautiful! :love

View attachment 3170445

Your chickens are beautiful. Unfortunately I won't live long enough to keep all the beautiful chickens I would like!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom