Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

They said light rain.:he It was okayish and then we could see the clouds rolling in from the West with the accompanying light show and rumbles of applause from the audience. The chickens, seeing it coming, headed for the feed trays and then the coops. Apparently I'm more optomistic than the chickens and expected the storm to rush through. I had just managed to collect up my tools and get the cleaning done when the clouds started to deliver. I got soaked and what didn't help is four of the Ex Battery hens had gone under the coop, got into a huddle and settled down for the night. Not happy about sleeping on the ground any circumstances so I had to get them out from under and into the coop. I got wetter.

Henry's been in the coop again. I wasn't quick enough to get a picture of him sqeezing through the pop door.
P9050083.JPG

Before the rain.
P9050082.JPG

Damp hens. I'll be interested to smell what the coop is like tomorrow. A bit of a ventilation test.
P9050084.JPG

Presumably Henry doesn't roost outside in stormy weather?
Oh he does with the usual four hens. I spent an hour under the old coop run with them while I waited for the worst of the storm to pass. It was around 3C last winter when Henry started going into the coop. I think it's windchill and rain getting blown in under the roof that he doesn't like. It constantly surprises me in a pleasant way just how many chickens will choose to roost outside.

Apple and Ginger crumble.

3 medium apples Bramley apple, peeled, cored and sliced to 1cm thick
1 cube of root ginger 25mm x 25mm finely chopped or grated.
2 tbsp of muscovy sugar.
1 tsp of freshly chopped or grated cinnamon.
Heat oven to 190C
Arrange the apple, ginger, 2tbsp and cinnamon in the dish and press flat.
25cm x 10cm deep oven proof dish.

Crumble.
175grams of plain flour.
110grams of muscovy sugar.
110 grams of cold butter.
I tbsp of fine oats

Make the crumble in a bowl adding a pinch of salt. Mix all ingredients by rubbing in the cold butter until the mix is like coarse breadcrumbs.
Pour the crumble mix on top of the fruit and spread.
35/40 mins in the oven.

At least the USA can have the excuse of it's size. The UK doesn't have any excuses. Perris mentioned earlier that London had a good public transport system and from what little recent experience I've had I would agree with them.
This is part of the British political problem. As far as the politicians are concerend the UK is London and the South East.
Unfortunately politics are similar around the world. A pic of my gentle giant Big Boy to pay for my political commentary. Out of 9 roosters he is by far the biggest and most easy going.
20220813_182041.jpg

Oh he does with the usual four hens. I spent an hour under the old coop run with them while I waited for the worst of the storm to pass. It was around 3C last winter when Henry started going into the coop. I think it's windchill and rain getting blown in under the roof that he doesn't like. It constantly surprises me in a pleasant way just how many chickens will choose to roost outside.
We have a tribe that will sleep in the run year round. Only on the nights when it's freezing do we carry them into their house which has heating

apparently they come in 8 varieties (!), but I'm not sure you'd find many outside Belgium. This is very thorough and has something on Campines too http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/11E04A05.pdf

I can see you going for the white-barred gold bantam :D
That was a lovely read. Thank you. I did know some of it but that is the most in depth read I've seen. You are quite right. I could fall head over heels for the white gold barred bantams. 🤣 The white barred are interesting too. Pretty sure they're not available out here ~ which is probably a good thing! I had noticed some of my silver Campines didn't have the super dark eyes, so it is handy to know why that was.

I love everything about these varieties of birds: they have personality plus; they have a lovely body shape, gorgeous colouring, are smart & savvy, reasonable layers & not overly broody.
I visited the writer / breeder of the article to buy bantam Breakel eggs from him. He lives in the south of the Netherlands and I thought the Breakels where an amazing breed I needed to have. 🤩

Seeing them in real and observing their behaviour, I decided not wanting the Breakels anymore. These Braekels were fenced but still tried to get away from me as far as possible. They were very nervous and skittish.

He also had Naine de Tournaisis I wanted to buy/ raise. Finally I only bought the Tournaisis eggs. Great looks, good layers and fun characters. The 2 hens I kept had a very short lifespan. The mix doughter Janice, Tournaisis rooster x Dutch hen Ini mini, is still with us.

Back
Top Bottom