Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

My BJG (which I have since lost to a coyote šŸ˜¢), had an enormous comb and majestic wattles. He lost much of both to frostbite his first winter, which was brutal (2020/21, which was when a lot of TX also got shut down due to ice and cold). He was definitely in pain. He could not eat from the feeder, which has 3" PVC openings, without scraping both comb and wattles on the PVC. We fed him separately from a flat dish. Not much we could do about the water. His wattles dangled in the water and got wet, the temps were brutal and never let up. He became very much a pet, knowing that his food came from us and not a feeder. I do miss him. No bird should be considered "cold hardy" if it has large comb and wattles, IMO. I love BJGs but will never have another in this climate. Our winters are not long but they can be severe.

This gives a better idea of Henry's size.
PA080372.JPG

My BJG (which I have since lost to a coyote šŸ˜¢), had an enormous comb and majestic wattles. He lost much of both to frostbite his first winter, which was brutal (2020/21, which was when a lot of TX also got shut down due to ice and cold). He was definitely in pain. He could not eat from the feeder, which has 3" PVC openings, without scraping both comb and wattles on the PVC. We fed him separately from a flat dish. Not much we could do about the water. His wattles dangled in the water and got wet, the temps were brutal and never let up. He became very much a pet, knowing that his food came from us and not a feeder. I do miss him. No bird should be considered "cold hardy" if it has large comb and wattles, IMO. I love BJGs but will never have another in this climate. Our winters are not long but they can be severe.
Poor little love

I tend to feel if chickens are used to an environment it will affect them less. In NY we have long, cold winters, but it isnā€™t a shock to them because they are exposed gradually. I feel like it would be harder on a bird where it was hot for a long time & there was a drastic, unexpected drop in temp. Especially since owners would be less likely to be ready. We have tarps, headed waterers, and wind blocks set up. Even an emergency heater in case it gets to negative temps for an extended time. Does that make sense or am I completely off base?

I tend to feel if chickens are used to an environment it will affect them less. In NY we have long, cold winters, but it isnā€™t a shock to them because they are exposed gradually. I feel like it would be harder on a bird where it was hot for a long time & there was a drastic, unexpected drop in temp. Especially since owners would be less likely to be ready. We have tarps, headed waterers, and wind blocks set up. Even an emergency heater in case it gets to negative temps for an extended time. Does that make sense or am I completely off base?
You're making perfect sense.:)

Back
Top Bottom