Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

About 1/3 of my tribe is bantams & seeing it's summer here broody is the name of the game. Tsura[front] & Ceres fought like blazes over this box & are still disputing eggs.
The Tribe's hens used to end up breaking eggs in these disputes. They would burrow their heads under each other and play drag the egg over my side.:rolleyes:

Regarding free ranging, because we are blessed enough to live on 36+ acres, we plan on fencing another portion in the spring and then rotate weekly...one week the chickens/guineas and eventually ducks/geese/peafowl will have access to the top pasture, while the dogs and goats/sheep will be in the bottom pasture. The next week we'll rotate. This will be beneficial for everyone as the chickens and guineas will eradicate the ticks in both pastures (great for the dogs and livestock) and they'll have a huge area to keep them healthy and strong. If only our dogs could see the birds as part of their charge, they'd all be able to have access to the entire property at all times. Alas, the dogs will protect the livestock and we humans to the death, but they cannot resist a scrumptious chicken dinner. 🤦‍♀️

Regarding free ranging, because we are blessed enough to live on 36+ acres, we plan on fencing another portion in the spring and then rotate weekly...one week the chickens/guineas and eventually ducks/geese/peafowl will have access to the top pasture, while the dogs and goats/sheep will be in the bottom pasture. The next week we'll rotate. This will be beneficial for everyone as the chickens and guineas will eradicate the ticks in both pastures (great for the dogs and livestock) and they'll have a huge area to keep them healthy and strong. If only our dogs could see the birds as part of their charge, they'd all be able to have access to the entire property at all times. Alas, the dogs will protect the livestock and we humans to the death, but they cannot resist a scrumptious chicken dinner. 🤦‍♀️
I was just reading on @BY Bob 's thread that geese can help protect chickens from Cooper hawks. Thought I'd mention to you in case it's of any help.

Here's the info: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-25175156

I was just reading on @BY Bob 's thread that geese can help protect chickens from Cooper hawks. Thought I'd mention to you in case it's of any help.

Here's the info: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-25175156
That is definitely good info! I wanted a donkey, but donkeys and dogs also dont get along. I figure a handful of large birds like geese and peafowl will do a good job of warding off most daytime predators until everyone is back in their runs each evening.

I've had similar experiences with co-brooding hens.
It's a hit or miss with mine. Had a pair that were great co-brooding. Godawful mamas though once they hatched. Also scared the cr@p out of everyone when we went to check on them.

My frazzled would sit with my broody cochins, but I think that was more to just stay warmer. Everyone else resulted in breaking eggs

The Tribe's hens used to end up breaking eggs in these disputes. They would burrow their heads under each other and play drag the egg over my side.:rolleyes:
No broken eggs so far but I have found them sitting in such a way that they are each covering the same egg. 😖 Honestly, my lot are complete nut jobs. 🙄

I hope I'll be forgiven for this. I have past tax credits if necessary.
This was a rescue hen called Rosehip. I found her on a track not far from my home in Catalonia. Until ver recently I've found it very difficult to post pictures of the chickens I lived with for so many years. She was flea and lice ridden and had her beak butchered. It took a couple of months to file a usable point on it.
Really.JPG

And this picture is of a hen called Fudge. Ive got a framed print of this and it's called Proud & Free.
P4011446.JPG

Back
Top Bottom