Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Yes, or do you have miniture campine?
Sho only ways 500 grams🤣
No Campine bantams but they're a small standard hen. Ha'penny is rather large for her breed. Aoife & Morrigu are more representative of the breed. They are silver Campines.
20201117_175822 (3).jpg

As a biologist (okay, technically a zoological illustrator), let me play devil's advocate for a moment. A biologist might argue that the only "true and proper" chicken is the Red Jungle Fowl, and all the others have been messed with by humans to a lesser or greater extent, it is just a matter of degree. ;)

What I really think is that Ex Batts aren't inherently lesser chickens (if indeed the term "proper chicken" is even valid). If you took a day old chick bred and hatched for a caged life and somehow slipped it under one of Shadrach's Tribes' broody hens, it would grow up doing all the usual chicken things. How do we know? Because lots of people on this forum buy ISA browns, Amber Links, etc as day olds and have them running around their land being normal chickens. Sure, their life might be short due to reproductive issues, and perhaps they may not be as predator wise as a Jungle Fowl or Game (but that could also be said of many other breeds), but they would absolutely be "proper chickens."

Sadly, I am currently chicken-less and cannot pay tax. This has been an interesting read, so perhaps I can stay on, tax-free, as many impoverished people do. Or perhaps I can dig up my illustrations for an article on the smallest discovered adult dinosaur fossil, which was basically a chicken with teeth, a bony tail, and claws on its axials.
I would love to see the illustrations but I am not an official tax collector so you can ignore me.

I hope I'll be forgiven for this. I have past tax credits if necessary.
This was a rescue hen called Rosehip. I found her on a track not far from my home in Catalonia. Until ver recently I've found it very difficult to post pictures of the chickens I lived with for so many years. She was flea and lice ridden and had her beak butchered. It took a couple of months to file a usable point on it.
View attachment 2920469

And this picture is of a hen called Fudge. Ive got a framed print of this and it's called Proud & Free.
View attachment 2920471
Awww… Fudge! Thank you for posting. I’ve missed seeing your old tribes.

I'm sure I'll go off topic again soon, so I'm paying pre-emptive tax.

All 4 of my boys were hanging out together enjoying the sun on this cold December morning. See if you can spot them all. Photo taken from inside the house because I knew I'd miss the shot if I went outside.

Attachments

• 20211208_094358.jpg
    20211208_094358.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
As a biologist (okay, technically a zoological illustrator), let me play devil's advocate for a moment. A biologist might argue that the only "true and proper" chicken is the Red Jungle Fowl, and all the others have been messed with by humans to a lesser or greater extent, it is just a matter of degree. ;)

What I really think is that Ex Batts aren't inherently lesser chickens (if indeed the term "proper chicken" is even valid). If you took a day old chick bred and hatched for a caged life and somehow slipped it under one of Shadrach's Tribes' broody hens, it would grow up doing all the usual chicken things. How do we know? Because lots of people on this forum buy ISA browns, Amber Links, etc as day olds and have them running around their land being normal chickens. Sure, their life might be short due to reproductive issues, and perhaps they may not be as predator wise as a Jungle Fowl or Game (but that could also be said of many other breeds), but they would absolutely be "proper chickens."

Sadly, I am currently chicken-less and cannot pay tax. This has been an interesting read, so perhaps I can stay on, tax-free, as many impoverished people do. Or perhaps I can dig up my illustrations for an article on the smallest discovered adult dinosaur fossil, which was basically a chicken with teeth, a bony tail, and claws on its axials.
I think an illustration should cover it.:)
I'm always prepared to give to the impoverished so I'll pay your tax for you.
P7151628.JPG

Back
Top Bottom