Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I think she meant it would help in the survival of THESE rescue birds. I agree it doesn’t immediately help the big picture. However, it might raise awareness. More people might come to this thread and learn that being a real chicken means being a healthier chicken. And that chickens are sentient, intelligent, social creatures.

I have to agree that people need to eat fewer eggs, pay more for eggs, stop feeding chicken to their pets (and themselves) to move the needle even a little bit. However, it makes me smile proudly that my parents will now only buy pasture raised eggs. It’s a tiny start to making a difference.

I can’t help but feel nothing will change on a large scale unless and until people are more aware of chicken intelligence. Same with pigs and cows.

Honestly, I feel a bit hopeless about the whole thing. How on earth can we get terribly selfish beings (humans) to stop exploiting others??? I just don’t know how to turn around the entitled arrogance.
Slowly but surely. I've noticed that some people here have stopped buying the battery eggs as much.

:eek: I look in the recycling bins and always talk about my rescue girls. It is sinking in with some people at last. As for the rest they're just fat butts that only think of tthemselves

At work everyone except one or two are buying pasture & free range eggs. One other person has gotten chickens. There's a poster on the refigerator at work of the benefits of "real" eggs vs. battery eggs. And there's always a container of "Do Not Eat for TJ's Chickens" for me to take home. It's taken years of bringing in eggs to get to this point though.
Tax: Rooster butt
roo4.jpg

Last edited:
Slowly but surely. I've noticed that some people here have stopped buying the battery eggs as much.
I'll go without eggs before I buy eggs in the store. I will NOT support that industry.
fat butts that only think of tthemselves
Isn't that the general attitude of the masses at large? We live in a "Me-itis" society.
Tax...
Ace has some learning to do on this whole hen courting business. I tossed a raisin near him and both he and Cayuga went for it. He beat her to it, gulped it down then had the nerve to do the "Hey baby, would you just check THIS out!" drop wing dance at her. She gave him a 'Get Real' look and walked off. This is him immediately after the rejection.
IMG_20211215_083346759_HDR.jpg

Good morning! This is the weather here today! 🥶🥶 Screenshot_20211215-081530~2.png
I wasn't planning on heating my chicken coop... But there's some cold, unhappy chickens today. Anyone have a safe, economical suggestion for providing a little heat in the coop so everyone doesn't freeze or live a miserable existence?? Sort of off topic, but is chicken related...

But here's Tax. The chickens in warmer and happier days!
IMG_20211027_092155.jpg
IMG_20211021_141252.jpg

I wasn't planning on heating my chicken coop... But there's some cold, unhappy chickens today. Anyone have a safe, economical suggestion for providing a little heat in the coop so everyone doesn't freeze or live a miserable existence??

If it's just on a very few cold days, you can fill a bucket of hot water, put the lid on nice and tight, and put it in the coop. The chickens can sit on it or next to it, and it warms the air a little, but of course it cools off again in a few hours. So this gives them a temporary way of warming up a little bit, and does not require electricity in the coop.

You want to be sure the lid is nice and tight (so the chickens cannot fall in, and so the water cannot spill, and so it doesn't evaporate into the air of the coop-- you don't want icicles forming on the coop or on the chickens).

Hauling a big, heavy bucket of water gets old really fast, which is fine if you only need it a few times, but probably not something you want to do multiple times a day all winter long.

If it's just on a very few cold days, you can fill a bucket of hot water, put the lid on nice and tight, and put it in the coop. The chickens can sit on it or next to it, and it warms the air a little, but of course it cools off again in a few hours. So this gives them a temporary way of warming up a little bit, and does not require electricity in the coop.

You want to be sure the lid is nice and tight (so the chickens cannot fall in, and so the water cannot spill, and so it doesn't evaporate into the air of the coop-- you don't want icicles forming on the coop or on the chickens).

Hauling a big, heavy bucket of water gets old really fast, which is fine if you only need it a few times, but probably not something you want to do multiple times a day all winter long.
You could do the same with one of those microwaveable bean bags.

I looked and didn't find any battery operated space heaters (but there are lots of battery-heated clothing items, blankets, toilet seats and even a heated, battery operated eyelash curler.) There's a fine line between ventilation and draft-free. Would wrapping the lower part of the coop in plastic help (if you have high vents)? Does your coop have a crawl space under it you can pack with straw bales?

Tax: Rooster frontage
roo2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom