Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

The chickens are foraging right out to the boundries now. They've worked their way from just out side the coop run to the boundries in the space of a few months looking for things to eat. Very roughly they've more or less exhausted 300 square meters just by being out of the coop run for a couple of hours every afternoon.
There is about a further 60 square meters they haven't exhausted yet.
It's getting close to the time to put up some kind of temporary fence around sections of the rest of the allotment. I could do with it being a bit dryer before I attempt this.
View attachment 2961936

View attachment 2961937
the new growth is just starting to appear here, so presumably there too Shad; their foraging and fertilizing will probably be doing wonders for that scrubby ground, and it'll be lovely to see them enjoying the spring greens in due course. Can anyone strim the tussocks so they can get in there too?

@Shadrach, I thought you'd appreciate this on two fronts...
You know I have a very mixed flock.
Some of them.
IMG_20210726_132429818_HDR.jpg

Until recently, I've never had any "color cliques". Three of the originals hang out together but they are all very different in appearance.
Now that the Double Silver Laced Barnevelders have started laying and have fully integrated into the flock, I've noticed that Alecia, a high ranking SLW, has started roosting with them.
This morning I found ALL the black and white chickens in my flock lounging in the dust bath area waiting for breakfast. In there are Alecia, Annie (Ancona), Remi (Exchequer LH) and the Barnevelders. The majority of the flock was still in the coop.
IMG_20220116_080939689_HDR.jpg

This spot they are in tends to get noticably warmer when the sun shines on it through the polycarbonate roof and the opaque tarp covering the walls to block the wind. They figured this out and love to preen in the spa area.

Breakfast this morning.
IMG_20220116_080603119_HDR.jpg

Fermented Flock Raiser with a tin of sardines and chopped up apple core. :sick They love it but it looks disgusting.

Some of them.
View attachment 2962296

Until recently, I've never had any "color cliques". Three of the originals hang out together but they are all very different in appearance.
Now that the Double Silver Laced Barnevelders have started laying and have fully integrated into the flock, I've noticed that Alecia, a high ranking SLW, has started roosting with them.
This morning I found ALL the black and white chickens in my flock lounging in the dust bath area waiting for breakfast. In there are Alecia, Annie (Ancona), Remi (Exchequer LH) and the Barnevelders. The majority of the flock was still in the coop.
View attachment 2962297
This spot they are in tends to get noticably warmer when the sun shines on it through the polycarbonate roof and the opaque tarp covering the walls to block the wind. They figured this out and love to preen in the spa area.

Breakfast this morning.
View attachment 2962300
Fermented Flock Raiser with a tin of sardines and chopped up apple core. :sick They love it but it looks disgusting.
Is that an electric fence you have there in the first picture Dobie?

Good morning, Cafe', and thanks for the coffee.
Some of them.

Breakfast this morning.

So, I'm thinking: "I know Tonya eats healthy, but I don't think I could eat sardines for breakfast." :lau

Back
Top Bottom