Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

One of the bantams laid her first egg yesterday. Just a teeny bit bloody. Poor girl.
View attachment 2962416

I think it was Laserbeak, as I have seen Mr. Bumble mount her a few times in the past week. The three bantams have been together since the day they hatched, and he's never paid them any mind before (he's been in love with Skeksis since he first saw her).
View attachment 2962417
I'm not surprised, she's truly beautiful :)

It was frosty this morning and very cold. Thank goodness the winter sun is out and the sky is not greyed over
20220115_151202.jpg

If you leave some milk out the fridge too long it may start to turn 'sour'. Leave it a bit longer and it'll separate into curds, which is a simple 'cottage cheese' and whey, which is a watery liquid. I think it needs quite a lot of processing to turn that liquid into powder; the natural state is liquid.
Same when you make kefir. If you catch it early it is all fermented milk. Wait a day and it separates into kefir ‘cream cheese’ and liquid whey.

The benefit of kefir grains or a live Greek yoghurt starter is that you never get the icky smell of off milk and it is not random bacteria from someone’s hands that are doing the work.

I think some tax must be due for all this milk talk...
This is my Venka mark 1: as you can see, she turned out to be a he. I took him back to the breeder and came home with my lovely Venka #2, with the snow leopard plumage. As a relevant aside, the breeder asked what I feed them because he'd grown bigger and better than theirs!
P1060549.JPG

I think some tax must be due for all this milk talk...
This is my Venka mark 1: as you can see, she turned out to be a he. I took him back to the breeder and came home with my lovely Venka #2, with the snow leopard plumage. As a relevant aside, the breeder asked what I feed them because he'd grown bigger and better than theirs!
View attachment 2963349
Stunning. And here is my more modest tax payment from just before the snow.

C8DC9E20-A726-4EFF-8195-18FD915AED96.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom