Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I found a photo of Sven when he was a baby and he was called Sarah :th
P1060557.JPG

I realized a week after I took Venka#1 back to the breeder to exchange for Venka#2 that the second one they sold me was a roo too, but by then I couldn't be bothered to drive back there AGAIN and decided to rename him Sven, and the rest, as they say, is history!
This is by way of tax, btw :)

I've finally caught up! And I have to apologize because I realise I have been repeating things that you already went through in the parts I had not read yet. I should have been more patient and refrain from posting before finishing to read.

I was really interested about the discussion on how people view chickens, ranging from dumb livestock to beloved pets. And what to do with ex-battery hens. I must admit I've been racking my small brain about these questions a lot, about domestic animals in general and how it is so difficult to see them as they are for themselves and not through the relationship we human have with them- whether it's love, food, or utilitarian.

I wonder what would become of chickens, cattle, pigs if everyone stopped eating meat, or drastically reduced their comsumption. I don't think it's idealistic, because I am kind of convinced that in a relatively near future we simply won't have the choice.

I suppose one of the reason we don't use battery hens for human consumption is that the scope of medication and antibiotics they are legally allowed is wider than that of meat chickens, in the EU at least. Otherwise they could be made into sausages and the taste and toughness would not be a problem.

I've finally caught up! And I have to apologize because I realise I have been repeating things that you already went through in the parts I had not read yet. I should have been more patient and refrain from posting before finishing to read.

I was really interested about the discussion on how people view chickens, ranging from dumb livestock to beloved pets. And what to do with ex-battery hens. I must admit I've been racking my small brain about these questions a lot, about domestic animals in general and how it is so difficult to see them as they are for themselves and not through the relationship we human have with them- whether it's love, food, or utilitarian.

I wonder what would become of chickens, cattle, pigs if everyone stopped eating meat, or drastically reduced their comsumption. I don't think it's idealistic, because I am kind of convinced that in a relatively near future we simply won't have the choice.

I suppose one of the reason we don't use battery hens for human consumption is that the scope of medication and antibiotics they are legally allowed is wider than that of meat chickens, in the EU at least. Otherwise they could be made into sausages and the taste and toughness would not be a problem.
I am in the middle of reading a rather interesting history book about chickens and their role in human 'civilization'.
It turns out that in many parts of the world using chickens for food is a relatively recent phenomenon - for vast swathes of history, and over many parts of the world they were primarily for religious purposes and for fighting (those two being intermingled in some places), they were also revered and prized as pets - principly the domain of nobles and royalty.
For example when Julius Caesar invaded Britain he was surprised to find it was against the law to eat chickens. The Romans ate chickens and eggs, but when they left the Brits more-or-less stopped eating chicken prefering geese and pigs as their source of meat.
Sorry - long answer - more than you were probably interested in - but I am finding this book fascinating so am a bit absorbed by it at the moment!

RoyalChick, I also find it really interesting and surprising ! History like science are necessary I guess to have a wider point of view on the question of animal status . I have to admit I am pretty ignorant on both, and I need to "educate myself" like people say now, to be able to form an opinion that doesn't come only from gut feeling that making animals suffer is wrong ☺️. What is the name of that book ?

I
I am in the middle of reading a rather interesting history book about chickens and their role in human 'civilization'.
It turns out that in many parts of the world using chickens for food is a relatively recent phenomenon - for vast swathes of history, and over many parts of the world they were primarily for religious purposes and for fighting (those two being intermingled in some places), they were also revered and prized as pets - principly the domain of nobles and royalty.
For example when Julius Caesar invaded Britain he was surprised to find it was against the law to eat chickens. The Romans ate chickens and eggs, but when they left the Brits more-or-less stopped eating chicken prefering geese and pigs as their source of meat.
Sorry - long answer - more than you were probably interested in - but I am finding this book fascinating so am a bit absorbed by it at the moment!
very interesting stuff! Thank you for sharing! What is it called & who is the author? I’m going to check my local library. 😊

RoyalChick, I also find it really interesting and surprising ! History like science are necessary I guess to have a wider point of view on the question of animal status . I have to admit I am pretty ignorant on both, and I need to "educate myself" like people say now, to be able to form an opinion that doesn't come only from gut feeling that making animals suffer is wrong ☺️. What is the name of that book ?
The book is called Why Did the Chicken Cross the World - the epic saga of the bird that powers civilization. Author is Andrew Lawler
Here is a link to the author's website page for that book and to a Smithsonian article on the topic that he co-authored.
https://www.andrewlawler.com/chicken-book/
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-the-chicken-conquered-the-world-87583657/
I am only a third of the way through the book but so far I have learned a lot and found it an easy read (I got a bit lost in the debate about how people migrated to the new world which is apparently a big field of ancient historical debate).
It is nothing to do with the practicalities of keeping chickens today so you have to be a bit of a history and genetics nerd to enjoy it.

It really is very interesting just how fast chicken has become one of the main staples of the diet. This really wasn't the case until the Cornish Cross were put into production. Before that time chicken was eaten rarely and was a bit of a luxury food. Before the CX took over the market, Jersey Giants were one of the main attractions in the meat chicken world. Keep in mind that these chickens take 2 years to get to size and were meant to compete with the turkey industry.

What is the title of this book?!? I’d love to read it!

Edited to add: Whoops! I should have been more patient and read just a little further. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom