Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

The weather seems to have gone from bad to worse. The chickens did come out for a bit. There were even a few pellets in the round feeder when I got there. It started to rain more heavily at around five and the chickens retreated to the coop run. That meant I could leave a bit earlier than usual.
View attachment 2999851View attachment 2999853View attachment 2999855
I feel so sorry for those birds standing in ankle deep water after the storms you've had.

I notice in these and other pics of the allotments that there are perfectly good building materials just lying around. I am the type of person who is always building something and it gives me OCD to see these materials just being useless when there is such a need for better quarters for the chickens. I sincerely hope that one of the developments that you are hinting at will include you getting paid to build something better for Henry and his girls!

Lima now a pro digger and forager.
P2210432.JPG

Henry, "I just can't cope with them all."
P2210429.JPG

Lima. On the go as usual.
P2210447.JPG

Cloud.
P2210452.JPG

Matilda. There is something under there and later Cloud came along and dug it out.
P2210423.JPG

The Legbars.
P2210427.JPG
P2210424.JPG

Shad, I haven't been posting on this thread much lately, but I read everything. You have given me much to think about. Instead of just replacing my hens in the old set up, you have made me reconsider how I can give the new pullets a richer environment even on my small property. Looking at Ribh's set up (in a similar climate) has also helped.

I used to only let them have free run of my yard when I was there to supervise. They most often hung out in the bed along the back fence, though. I am thinking of netting this off and letting them have it all day, even unsupervised. I think there is enough overhead cover from the fruit trees and camellias that the cooper's hawks would go for easier picking in the feral pigeons.

Here's a partial pic of the area. There are five mature fruit trees (only two shown) and some big camellias, azaleas, and ferns with lots of space under them. It is only 4' wide but 40' long for 3-4 bantams. The 3'x 12' coop was in my shade house to the left, under the plant benches, which I will rebuild roomier.

After learning from you, I think I am willing to risk the hawks to give them a more interesting environment. Thanks.

IMG_0484.JPG

Shad, I haven't been posting on this thread much lately, but I read everything. You have given me much to think about. Instead of just replacing my hens in the old set up, you have made me reconsider how I can give the new pullets a richer environment even on my small property. Looking at Ribh's set up (in a similar climate) has also helped.

I used to only let them have free run of my yard when I was there to supervise. They most often hung out in the bed along the back fence, though. I am thinking of netting this off and letting them have it all day, even unsupervised. I think there is enough overhead cover from the fruit trees and camellias that the cooper's hawks would go for easier picking in the feral pigeons.

Here's a partial pic of the area. There are five mature fruit trees (only two shown) and some big camellias, azaleas, and ferns with lots of space under them. It is only 4' wide but 40' long for 3-4 bantams. The 3'x 12' coop was in my shade house to the left, under the plant benches, which I will rebuild roomier.

After learning from you, I think I am willing to risk the hawks to give them a more interesting environment. Thanks.

View attachment 3000909
Even bantams will dig holes in those beautiful flower beds. Also I can do what I do because I have almost no predators. My biggest concern is neighbourhood dogs getting in.

The problem is that like attracts like. Those that want to go on vacations and not be tied down to home are probably friends with people who want to go on vacations. Obviously this isn't always the case and some people find solutions but there is enough of this happening that it is a major problem. Something about Legbars and glue comes to mind.
Touché! 😆
A lovely set of pictures and I'm delighted to collect them as tax.:D
My pleasure! I have far too many chicken pictures and it’s nice to have a place to share them where they’re appreciated.
What's even worse is when ppl move out of the city to country areas, then complain about livestock, and then laws banning them are passed. If you are that repulsed by the the sound and/or smell of animals, take your behind back to the city.
I’ve always thought that was so silly. Most places around here are ‘right to farm’ meaning if the farm was there first, the new neighbors in the subdevelopment built one field over can’t pursue any legal action to remove the farm. They can complain all they want, but they can’t force the farmer to sell.
Even bantams will dig holes in those beautiful flower beds. Also I can do what I do because I have almost no predators. My biggest concern is neighbourhood dogs getting in.
If you protect the area at the base of the trees/shrubs with bricks or stones so the chickens can’t do too much damage to the plant’s roots, then all you will lose will be the aesthetics of a perfectly manicured bed. Seems like that area has some nice cover from potential predators.

Back
Top Bottom