Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

This guy has been getting to close to my birds the last few days. Beautiful bird, but I'd rather not see him so close to my birds. Red tailed hawk. Not my pic because I didn't have my phone when I saw him.View attachment 3009088
Yikes. We have a resident Red Shouldered Hawk, and while Red Tailed Hawks do live here, it’s rare to see or hear them near my yard. Massive, impressive raptors. I wouldn’t want them near my chickens, either.

Their pretty common here. Chooks will be Penn bound until it realizes it can't get them.
I hope yours moves on. They're common somewhat nearby, just not right at my house. The other large raptors we have are golden eagles, bald eagles, and great horned owls. A great horned owl pair lives very nearby, but I’ve only seen one at dusk once. I think it was a juvenile, as its wingspan appeared to be under four feet.

Did your lot figure out easily how to use the nipples? I'm thinking of getting those.
I have a bucket with nipples. It took less than a minute for me to teach one and she taught the others.
When I integrated the Roadrunners I was worried they wouldn’t learn and I would have to teach one of them but they took to it immediately by watching the big girls.
That said, they all prefer a muddy puddle if available.
I use it inside the coop to avoid spills but outside I provide other options.

I hope yours moves on. They're common somewhat nearby, just not right at my house. The other large raptors we have are golden eagles, bald eagles, and great horned owls. A great horned owl pair lives very nearby, but I’ve only seen one at dusk once. I think it was a juvenile, as its wingspan appeared to be under four feet.

I've never seen a golden eagle in person. Are they pretty?? The raptors we have are pretty. We have bald eagles, red tailed hawks, and a while bunch of falcons.

I've got a bus pass. It's my favourite bit of plastic.:love
Fastest is by train 25 minutes door to door. I have a railcard but it still costs £1.30.
Cheapest is bus. I need to catch two so the time it takes depends on timing and more recently, if there are drivers for the buses.
The bus sevice is frequent on the first part of the journey; not so much on the second part but it's quick once you're on the bus.
I'm retired I think is the right expression these days but it doesn't feel much like it. I don't mind the travel. I often stop in at one of my daughters who live in the area of the allotments either going to, or coming from the chickens. Also, the chickens get me out of the flat and provide some structure to the day. My mental welbeing likes a bit of structure. Even on weather miserable days like today when I stand about in the rain waitng for the hens that will go out and forage in just about any weather, I still enjoy doing it.
Sounds ideal - though methinx you could do with a shelter there as much as the birds could! That apart, is there a chance any of your new neighbours in the apartment block may be enticed to develop a chicken habit and join you?

Back
Top Bottom