Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Bad fight between our 2 dominant roosters. I guess the 2 tribes were feeding too close and the brawl broke out. The older and smaller EE rooster Red took the worst of it. Cholo is a huge lavender orpington and almost twice the size of Red. Mama found Red laying under his coop. He was bloody but alive. I checked on him when I got home. He was in his normal spot on the roost but looked like he is suffering from a soju hangover. Cholo still looks spry but has a bit of dried blood on him but otherwise none the worse for it.

Bad fight between our 2 dominant roosters. I guess the 2 tribes were feeding too close and the brawl broke out. The older and smaller EE rooster Red took the worst of it. Cholo is a huge lavender orpington and almost twice the size of Red. Mama found Red laying under his coop. He was bloody but alive. I checked on him when I got home. He was in his normal spot on the roost but looked like he is suffering from a soju hangover. Cholo still looks spry but has a bit of dried blood on him but otherwise none the worse for it.
Just keep Red away from the turtle ditches.

Another sunny day.
View attachment 3035302View attachment 3035303
Henry getting ready for bed.
View attachment 3035305
You would not believe the fuss the hens make over who gets to roost next to Henry. Matilda gets one side almost without fail. The strange one is Fret. She's the youngest hen here, yet she often gets to roost next to Henry and has this habit of getting right under one of his wings.
View attachment 3035306
My two Sultans are low in the pecking order, but they have an interesting way of coping with it. Also worth noting that Sophia, who is immediately subordinate to Peanut, does this sort of thing more often. If they’re getting pushed away from feeders or off of roosting spots, they’ll sometimes go and hang around with Fuzzy, the flock queen.

No one bothers Fuzzy, and she doesn’t bother to peck anyone but the 2-3 hens immediately below her in the pecking order. She will tolerate the lowest ranking hens to be near her, Sophia and Peanut in particular. She doesn’t intervene if other hens pick on each other, but hanging around her gives the low ranking hens a degree of protection.

A couple weeks ago, I was in the coop watching everyone settle into their spots, which always involves a certain amount of squabbling, despite everyone usually ending up in pretty much the same spot every night. Sophia was getting run off the roosting bars by Saoirse, who seemed to be in a foul mood, and Cordelia (who she often roosts next to) didn’t want her nearby either. So Sophia made her way past a few hens, who all take a swipe at her, and squeezes herself in between Fuzzy and the wall, and halfway under her wing. I expected Fuzzy to be annoyed, but she just shifted over and pecked at Cannonball to tell her to make room. After that everyone settled down and went to sleep.

That's a worry.
I'm glad Red was found. Wishing him a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Back
Top Bottom