Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

C has found a dead rat by the chicken feeder a couple of times in the past few weeks. The rats have obviously been killed by a chicken, I found out who this evening. It's Lima. She maimed one as I watched. I didn't even see the rat until I saw Lima attack it. She jumped on it like a mongoose jumps on the back of a snakes back. Of course she couldn't keep it pinned but she got a few good pecks in before the rat got away.
Good on her!

The flock (minus Sky in the main nesting box).
20220327_105822.jpg

It's a good story, you must have been pretty impressed indeed. I thought the current saying was that chicks shouldn't even be let near roosters!

It doesn't change my mind on cock fighting, but it does remind me that passionate people who do things you don't agree with, are worth listening to. You can get to learn a lot.
I’m not sure how it is elsewhere, but around here, it seems like society in general has no desire to listen to differing opinions because they don’t agree with that opinion. Or simply have no desire to even spend time with someone who thinks differently than them. You can have a civil conversation, learn something from the other person, and still walk away with the same opinions you had before. Or perhaps a slightly different perspective and opinion than you started out with. It’s a pity when people are so narrow-minded/self-righteous that they can’t have these sorts of conversations. Cock fighting is horrible in my eyes, but the knowledge they have of caring for chickens is not.
C has found a dead rat by the chicken feeder a couple of times in the past few weeks. The rats have obviously been killed by a chicken, I found out who this evening. It's Lima. She maimed one as I watched. I didn't even see the rat until I saw Lima attack it. She jumped on it like a mongoose jumps on the back of a snakes back. Of course she couldn't keep it pinned but she got a few good pecks in before the rat got away.
I can just see her saying to the rat, “I’m finally getting enough food here, I’ll be %*#!ed if you start taking it away from me!” Good for her!

In my life "before" I did ultra trail running and I have used that kind of product, called tanning cream in french, not sure if the translation works in English. It can also be used for dogs that go hiking on rocky paths when they have paws that are too soft.

I think you are thinking of TUF-Foot, or Pad-Tough. I was part of a backpacking group who hiked the Sierras with our dogs and many used one of those products. I was initially ribbed about my breed choice, but my little Sheltie out-hiked all those Labs and Aussies and carried her own pack, too! I will have to remember that the product could be used on chickens, perhaps as a preventative if bumblefoot ever is a problem.

The treatment those cockfighters gave to their charges is very similar I think to that of a competing athlete by their coach.

That was my thought too. I compete with my dogs in agility, and those of us who are more serious not only stretch our own muscles, but also those of our dogs. I use those PT balance discs daily to strengthen my dog's core and I know several people with dog treadmills (though WHY in Southern California, when you can hike, walk, or run almost every day of the year). Horse racing has strict regimens for their equine athletes, so why would cock fighting be different?

While I also don't agree with cock fighting, there is something to be said for the accumulated knowledge base when the goal is not "the most eggs or meat in the shortest amount of time." When the goal is for the bird to be in the best health and condition possible for it to be considered "successful," we can surely learn a lot from these keepers.

Sunshine, Sunday, mothers day and Spring turned the allotment into a hive of activity. People have crept out of their homes, armed with farming implements and proceded to attack the ground!:th
It must be a contagion because I did it as well for a bit.
C cleaned out the chickens today and by the time I arrived the chickens and geese had been out for a couple of hours. C put the geese away shortly after I arrived; there are some broody problems. More geese is not an option.
The sick hen is not looking any better. I had a much better look at her this afternoon.
No mites or lice. Clean vent and mostly clean feathers below. Her comb is still good. Eyesight and hearing fine. Mobility not so much because she hunches when she stops. I can't feel an egg stuck. Her crop is a bit squishy; I'll check again tomorrow. The most concerning thing is her rear end is a bit squishy.
I spoke with C about her. We both agree she's not well and unfortunately whatever is wrong is likely to be terminal. If so that would make a rough average of a death a month since last September when I started. I don't know if one death a month is a good average. or a bad average with Rescues and Ex Battery hens.
This hen may be coming up to 4 years old.:(

However, they and she are still living and had most of the afternoon out.
P3270731.JPG

It looks like Cloud has had a hard day. She got on the perch, stuck her head under her wing and didn't even budge when checked Henry and Matilda's crops.
P3270733.JPG

There were seven people here today.
P3270732.JPG

I think you are thinking of TUF-Foot, or Pad-Tough. I was part of a backpacking group who hiked the Sierras with our dogs and many used one of those products. I was initially ribbed about my breed choice, but my little Sheltie out-hiked all those Labs and Aussies and carried her own pack, too! I will have to remember that the product could be used on chickens, perhaps as a preventative if bumblefoot ever is a problem.

That was my thought too. I compete with my dogs in agility, and those of us who are more serious not only stretch our own muscles, but also those of our dogs. I use those PT balance discs daily to strengthen my dog's core and I know several people with dog treadmills (though WHY in Southern California, when you can hike, walk, or run almost every day of the year). Horse racing has strict regimens for their equine athletes, so why would cock fighting be different?

While I also don't agree with cock fighting, there is something to be said for the accumulated knowledge base when the goal is not "the most eggs or meat in the shortest amount of time." When the goal is for the bird to be in the best health and condition possible for it to be considered "successful," we can surely learn a lot from these keepers.
I believe I'm right that the two I knew are the sons of keepers who did fight the cocks. They still fight the cocks but the cocks wear gloves and beak guards. The fighting is part of the training. I niether saw or heard of any illegal cock fights while I was there. One of these men I know for certain would not even dream of putting one of his cocks in real fight. He still trains them for it though. Not quite so sure about the other guy.
Still, as you write, it's something other than imprisoning hens bred to lay the maximum number of eggs and die having never put foot on natural ground let alone run around and forage.

I believe I'm right that the two I knew are the sons of keepers who did fight the cocks. They still fight the cocks but the cocks wear gloves and beak guards. The fighting is part of the training. I niether saw or heard of any illegal cock fights while I was there. One of these men I know for certain would not even dream of putting one of his cocks in real fight.
Huh. I had to look up "beak guards" and "gloves" for roosters. Pretty much a muzzle for a chicken! Shad, I learn something new from you almost daily!

I am sure such sparring is great for building muscle and conditioning a cock. Cock fighting is illegal here, but I wonder if there is a form that is legal using those implements and how they would judge the winner of the fight. I know very little about that world, other than I don't believe animals should fight to the death for our amusement any more than hens should be kept in batteries.

Back
Top Bottom