Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I think I caught up again. How is the sick hen, Shad?

Thought you’d appreciate nine arses in the air. The tenth, Bridge, is in the dust bowl she created.
17077E91-9FED-431D-AFD5-CF5B8BF13817.jpeg

So yesterday the girls had a grand time digging furiously for worms after the rain and I noticed something. My top ranked birds (Bridge the alpha, Buttercup the enforcer, and even Flo, very assertive junior hen who may be an alpha someday) were all superb diggers and found a huge fill of worms.

Some of the lower ranked birds were a little more timid in their digging, or just didn’t seem to know where to look. For example, Flash and Sunshine seemed to be pushing leaves around more than digging.

So Sky was out of the nesting box when I last checked on the chickens, apparently to get some food. She was raising her hackles and growling at Mr. Bumble. He'd chase after her, but she'd easily get away, as she's the fastest and most maneuverable when it comes to aerial moves. She's never been anything other than super sweet. Any idea why she might be acting aggressively towards him?

So Sky was out of the nesting box when I last checked on the chickens, apparently to get some food. She was raising her hackles and growling at Mr. Bumble. He'd chase after her, but she'd easily get away, as she's the fastest and most maneuverable when it comes to aerial moves. She's never been anything other than super sweet. Any idea why she might be acting aggressively towards him?
is she broody?

tax for the lambs: Phoenix strutting his stuff View attachment 3042356
I expect him to make a bid for the crown this summer, and I think Chirk does too; I wonder if the latter will join his dad and form a little old rooster flock when it happens.
Wow, he’s gorgeous! It will be interesting to see how the dynamics pan out.

Wow, he’s gorgeous! It will be interesting to see how the dynamics pan out.
Yes it will; I'm hoping Chirk will take his demotion with as much good grace as his dad has, and just run henceforth, after the necessary fight is over. It's not a bad life as an ex-dom; although Sven spends much of most days on his tod, it is noticeable that many of the senior hens and one of the pullets usually choose to roost with him, and not with Chirk or the young pretenders. In fact, whichever coop he's in on any given night is usually the fullest.

You must have a more reasonable online manner then. You seem perfectly reasonable to me.
Well, I do have to think about what I write and check it for mistakes using a second language. But I also think I'm pretty reasonable and it's the rest of the world that is going mad. Depends from where you're looking I guess 😁.
So turns out Sky was sitting on 11 eggs. One was hidden under some straw (those bantam eggs are teeny and really blend in). I candled them, and 10 were showing development. 7 of the eggs are from Skeksis. So if I have the timing correct, April 15th should be hatch day.:jumpy
Yay! Skeksis kiddos! We will see how many have naked necks and cravats 🥰. Is Mr bumble the daddy?
tax for the lambs: Phoenix strutting his stuff View attachment 3042356
I expect him to make a bid for the crown this summer, and I think Chirk does too; I wonder if the latter will join his dad and form a little old rooster flock when it happens.
I also find him very beautiful and proud!
I love the old rooster retirement home idea.

Some babies escaped from the brooder and into Red's pen so I was forced to let Red's tribe outside with Cholo. Later Red found Cholo and wanted revenge but I broke them up. I chased Cholo into a pen. Their hormones are getting the better of them. 🙄😑
So how are things going for Red and did you make a decision regarding Cholo ?

Back
Top Bottom