Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I must be an older generation than you. As a child I was never given antibiotics for anything. It didn’t seem to be ‘a thing’ then for healthy kids not in a hospital.
You got shots, and broken bones got a plaster cast, and the standard treatment for pretty much anything respiratory seemed to be Vicks Vaporub and hot lemon with honey.
I was also more-or-less free range. I don’t know if it was a safer time or whether lack of news media meant my parents were less well informed of the dangers of letting a ten year old go anywhere she wanted on her bicycle with the only requirement being to be back before dark!
I grew up in the 80's, french middle-class surburb and we were also allowed a lot as kids and teens. I get the feeling that changed much later, around 2000. Then again my parents didn't have tv and they believed they had made the revolution 🤣.

I'm not giving myself false hope here but the swelling has reduced in the abdomen!.
I've ust massaged her and a bit of mess came out then splashed warm water too clean her before i quickly added more honey into her vent.
She's eating I had too go against only the pellets and water as they were not deteriorating very well and she wouldn't eat
What I did was watered porridge into quails mash and a tiny bit of sardine with oil plus the calcium. She seemed more interested in food as my dog and cat was eating

I made her have coconut oil before bed last night I think that's been a great help. But that honey in the vent works like magic. I bought this honey during lockdown too help with breathing problems, this works for that extremely well.
View attachment 3075057
View attachment 3075044
Marie I am amazed at the amount of care you have done at home on your own! She definitely looks better, and is very lucky to have a keeper as dedicated as you are! ❤️

Marie I am amazed at the amount of care you have done at home on your own! She definitely looks better, and is very lucky to have a keeper as dedicated as you are! ❤️
Thank you. My heart is with her and somehow I feel she knows this.
I hate putting the honey inside her but it has taken the tightness our of her, she's still red and swollen but in no where as bad as she was. I can't believe she tried to attack my dog, he was stunned

Pictures from yesterday.
I seem to have caught some bug or other. Hopefully it won't knock me over and I'll still be able to go to the allotments.
P4220945.JPG
P4220946.JPG

Henry demonstrating just how unbothered he is by my presence in the coop run. He couldn't even be bothered to pull his head oout from under his wing as I mediated some roosting disputes.
P4220947.JPG

Fret. She's going broody.
P4220948.JPG
P4220949.JPG

I must be an older generation than you. As a child I was never given antibiotics for anything. It didn’t seem to be ‘a thing’ then for healthy kids not in a hospital.
You got shots, and broken bones got a plaster cast, and the standard treatment for pretty much anything respiratory seemed to be Vicks Vaporub and hot lemon with honey.
I was also more-or-less free range. I don’t know if it was a safer time or whether lack of news media meant my parents were less well informed of the dangers of letting a ten year old go anywhere she wanted on her bicycle with the only requirement being to be back before dark!
You left out the castor oil every spring. I was 100 % free range and have always been enough company for myself. I knew the location of every fruiting tree (wild and cultivated) in my territory. Bicycle and hitch hiking were my means of transportation. Seems crazy in retrospect, but I have always had strong guardian angels.

Pictures from yesterday.
I seem to have caught some bug or other. Hopefully it won't knock me over and I'll still be able to go to the allotments.
View attachment 3075147View attachment 3075148
Henry demonstrating just how unbothered he is by my presence in the coop run. He couldn't even be bothered to pull his head oout from under his wing as I mediated some roosting disputes.
View attachment 3075149
Fret. She's going broody.View attachment 3075150View attachment 3075151
Get well soon - the chickens need you!

Back
Top Bottom