Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Mr. Bumble & Laserbeak getting ready for bed.
20220522_191159.jpg

Ex Batts good afternoon one and all!

It really looks like a lot of us are having predator problems.

Have a great day!
yes; the predators have families to raise too!

We also have many prey birds flying over but surprisingly no attacks, they were far more agressive at the end of winter. There's always one of the hens looking in the sky now and Théo is growling like a lion 15 times a day sending everyone running under cover.

We have a beautiful Circaetus Gallicus flying stationary every day over 💚.
This one showed up early this morning. This is the coop where the 8 babies are staying.

They would make a delicacy snack for him I guess! I hope the chicks are safe, and not too stressed out.
Hello @One Lucky Momma :) Thank you for your kind words.
Posting from me is going to get a bit random for the next week or so.
I'll still be doing the chickens but I doubt I'll be coming home afterwards for a bit so basically when I do get home all I'll want to do is fall over and sleep.
I may get a few post done during the day.
Hope everything is alright.

Yesterday broody Chipie didn't come out as usual in the morning to eat/drink/poop/dustbathe. I waited until 7 pm and carried her out myself in the small pen she usually goes to. After making loud strange noises and hissing at me she threw herself on the food and water but didn't dustbathe and went back in after 10 mn. Hope it was just a mishap and that there is no problem with her or the eggs.

Btw, people here have been telling us not to feed baby chick starter but to mash breadcrumbs with boiled eggs. Any informed opinion ?

Yesterday broody Chipie didn't come out as usual in the morning to eat/drink/poop/dustbathe. I waited until 7 pm and carried her out myself in the small pen she usually goes to. After making loud strange noises and hissing at me she threw herself on the food and water but didn't dustbathe and went back in after 10 mn. Hope it was just a mishap and that there is no problem with her or the eggs.

Btw, people here have been telling us not to feed baby chick starter but to mash breadcrumbs with boiled eggs. Any informed opinion ?
Who are these people telling you? My breeders have always told me to go with chick starter but I have no idea if there is a difference be here & there.

It looks like an old timer's recipe. Wright's manual from the 1880s says 50-50 hard boiled egg yolk and stale breadcrumbs, the latter slightly moistened with milk, and that it's good for the broody too. More recent but still trad orientated, Hatcher says hard-boiled egg mixed with chick crumb, adding that the bright yellow egg yolk will catch their attention and encourage them to eat; he's talking about chicks in a brooder though. A broody will show the chicks what's edible and do all the encouraging any need.
In looking these up I have been reminded that all my bookmarks to electronic resources are on my old computer; anyone know how to easily copy these over to the new one (when the cable comes; hopefully today!)?

Who are these people telling you? My breeders have always told me to go with chick starter but I have no idea if there is a difference be here & there..

It looks like an old timer's recipe. Wright's manual from the 1880s says 50-50 hard boiled egg yolk and stale breadcrumbs, the latter slightly moistened with milk, and that it's good for the broody too. More recent but still trad orientated, Hatcher says hard-boiled egg mixed with chick crumb, adding that the bright yellow egg yolk will catch their attention and encourage them to eat; he's talking about chicks in a brooder though. A broody will show the chicks what's edible and do all the encouraging any need.
In looking these up I have been reminded that all my bookmarks to electronic resources are on my old computer; anyone know how to easily copy these over to the new one (when the cable comes; hopefully today!)?

Old timers farmers just like @Perris says 😁 I've come to discover the old ways should sometimes be taken with a grain of salt but my partner falls for it every time.

Are your bookmarks saved on your navigator/browser (Firefox, internet explorer , chrome?...) If that is the case, most navigators offer the possibility of creating an account, and saving the bookmarks to that account, which you will need to do on the old computer. You will then need to synchronize on the new computer by logging into that account on the same navigator. Hope this is not a lot of jumble, it's easier to show than to explain!

Last edited:
Are your bookmarks saved on your navigator/browser (Firefox, internet explorer , chrome?...) If that is the case, most navigators offer the possibility of creating an account, and saving the bookmarks to that account, which you will need to do on the old computer. You will then need to synchronize on the new computer by logging into that account on the same navigator. Hope this is not a lot of jumble, it's easier to show than to explain!
they are. I'll try that; thank you so much :hugs

Back
Top Bottom