Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

We're done with the structural work reroofing the old houses. The builders are gone and now we'll have to clear all the rubble, and do the plastering of the facades.
View attachment 3125426
It's been stressful having my stepfather over everyday and having to cope with his hateful, racist, conspirationist constant ramble. I had two moments of glee when my partner told him he would sue him for libel and negationism if he didn't shut up. And when I didn't eat the supermarket battery pork ribs he brought for the end of work barbecue, and my partner explained very seriously to him I was converting to Islam 🤣. I'm glad to be back on my own with the chickens.
View attachment 3125434
Sorry about the stressful bigoted FIL.
My father used to taunt a bigoted cousin similarly. Of course no views were ever modified as a result.

how interesting; many thanks for that link.

I add bonfire ash to the dustbaths as per tradition, and I have sometimes observed the chickens picking out specific bits of ash including charcoal and eating it. I have assumed they are acting on instinct, and that they somehow know that what they are eating contains something they need, but maybe in this case they're more specifically self-medicating.
I have a bin of ash for this purpose but have worried about dust. How do you add it? Just dump a big heap of ash, or do you mix it with something?

Sorry about the stressful bigoted FIL.
My father used to taunt a bigoted cousin similarly. Of course no views were ever modified as a result.
That's why I left Facebook. Too much political and hateful posts mostly by relatives I didn't know. My true friends and relatives have my number and stay in touch.

And I probably owe some tax so here is Diana.

9137014B-A7A6-4C51-9AA3-EA5971642CA1.jpeg

That's why I left Facebook. Too much political and hateful posts mostly by relatives I didn't know.
It's easier to make him avoid those subjects when we see him once a month. He really wants to tell us all about that trash he sees on Facebook, trash talk so extreme most of it is illegal. Anyway I'm relieved it's over.

And I probably owe some tax so here is Diana.

View attachment 3125551

@RoyalChick I have the same weeds in my chicken zone with those little white fluffy things on top. It's the first year that the clearing maniac in the place has let them grow (he lacked the time) and I notice the chickens love pecking at those white bits! Do yours too? They seem to really enjoy foraging with the grass left uncut, i'm sure there are way more nutrients.

It's easier to make him avoid those subjects when we see him once a month. He really wants to tell us all about that trash he sees on Facebook, trash talk so extreme most of it is illegal. Anyway I'm relieved it's over.

@RoyalChick I have the same weeds in my chicken zone with those little white fluffy things on top. It's the first year that the clearing maniac in the place has let them grow (he lacked the time) and I notice the chickens love pecking at those white bits! Do yours too? They seem to really enjoy foraging with the grass left uncut, i'm sure there are way more nutrients.
Yes they love them. It is some kind of grass and those are the seed heads.
I like watching the chickens eat them because they have a clever twist-and-pull technique so they get the seed and don’t get a long stem with it. It is cute to watch.

I have a bin of ash for this purpose but have worried about dust. How do you add it? Just dump a big heap of ash, or do you mix it with something?
with damp sand in the box one, which I mix roughly, but I just tip some on top of the dry soil in the ground one and leave the chickens to mix it in. Sometimes some of them just bathe in the remaining ashes where I had a bonfire, so they're getting 100% ash then, but they definitely prefer to do that after it's rained, so there's no dust to speak of.

I like watching the chickens eat them because they have a clever twist-and-pull technique so they get the seed and don’t get a long stem with it.
funnily enough I was watching Bala do the same yesterday, with some grass seed. It must need real precision to do it with tiny seeds waving about on flimsy stems.

We're done with the structural work reroofing the old houses. The builders are gone and now we'll have to clear all the rubble, and do the plastering of the facades.
View attachment 3125426
It's been stressful having my stepfather over everyday and having to cope with his hateful, racist, conspirationist constant ramble. I had two moments of glee when my partner told him he would sue him for libel and negationism if he didn't shut up. And when I didn't eat the supermarket battery pork ribs he brought for the end of work barbecue, and my partner explained very seriously to him I was converting to Islam 🤣. I'm glad to be back on my own with the chickens.
View attachment 3125434
@ManueB, I just realized I'm not sure how to express approval for your posts now. Like, love, laughter, and wow are each pretty narrow. BYC needs to add a new reaction emoji: maybe a French flag, or a squiggly arrow to illustrate satisfaction with a post that takes you on a journey of emotions 🤓🤪🙃🙂😬🤔

Tax. A candid of Miss Eula (2-time Miss February on the BYC calendar) in bug-hunting mode, and a classic questioning gaze from Easter Egger Miss Raisin.

DSC07984.jpg
DSC03830.jpg

Back
Top Bottom