Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Congratulations. :yesss:

Please do invite us all to the ribbon cutting. We’ll bring tasty refreshments and lovely housewarming gifts. And that massage therapist.

Seriously, I think we all grasp the significance of the event and we are deeply happy for you and the flock.
It's going to be stressful.

Interesting Activated charcoal is used to absorb nasty chemicals like if someone ingests poison. I think that is a cross species benefit - it acts like a sponge and mops them up.
I am not sure my mother’s translation of that to making me eat burnt toast if I had a tummy ache as a child has any scientific backing. But the poison one does.
I don't think burnt toast is made from charcoal but who knows when it comes to a lot of the bread one can buy these days.
I know I can keep a loaf for a couple of weeks and it doesn't go off. A bit worrying is that.

I have a bin of ash for this purpose but have worried about dust. How do you add it? Just dump a big heap of ash, or do you mix it with something?
I've been told it needs to be hardwood ash. I have no idea what the difference is between one ash and another.

That's why I left Facebook. Too much political and hateful posts mostly by relatives I didn't know. My true friends and relatives have my number and stay in touch.
You have relatives you didn't know about until you had a Facebook account?:eek::th
If that isn't a good reason for avoiding it I don't know what is. I have enough trouble with the relatives I already know about.

Tax Time

Here, Mr. Aegis is giving Bertie a tour of the nest boxes. She and flockmate Maizie had just moved in with us after a harrowing night of carnage in their former home. Aegis did his best to make them comfortable; I swear his tenderness was palpable.

This was the first time we’d added new birds to our flock and it went surprisingly well. The two new girls spent the first few days in the large wire dog crate, separated from the others but sharing their space.

View attachment 3126355
Some roosters are such gentlemen.:love

Just waiting on a shipment of feed. Will be here tomorrow.
I would like to feed a mash to the allotment chickens. While I could do it in the evenings I can't see C managing to do it in the mornings.
Mash I found was a really good way of getting medication into the chickens with minimum stress.

Back
Top Bottom