Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Yesterdays selection.View attachment 3174385View attachment 3174386
Miss Broody.
View attachment 3174387View attachment 3174388View attachment 3174389
One of the friendly fence hoppers. No trouble. Just picke her up and put her back over.

View attachment 3174390View attachment 3174391
The hen in the bin looks so funny! They must be happy the rainy days are over. Was it not a pain working in the mud ?
Got the holes for the vent slot drilled. Found my rivit gun but no rivits!:barnie
Where the holes are will be a full cut out, hardware cloth covered, rivited in place. It will look neat enough when it's finished. Plastic is rivits, or nuts and bolts for construction.
Built the base frame for the run and found wood for the doorway.
View attachment 3174396View attachment 3174397
It looks very good. Maybe when you're finished you could send the picture to the company you bought it from as suggestions to make a better version of the coop, especially regarding the roost height! Still planning on making a window ?
Home at last.:weeUp to date now. These are from this evening and it stayed dry.
No more dog hair in everything. No hour long walks in the morning either.
The hens I've been hen sitting for are a sweet pair.
View attachment 3174402View attachment 3174403
You're not a morning person, or not a long walk person? Or is it the dog 😁? You managed to pull off a nice bit of work during that time though. Always nice coming home.

We had an unforeseen storm yesterday. It didn't last for more than 30 minutes but with awful gush of wind, thunder and hail all of a sudden. Luckily Chipie had already brought the chicks in the coop. We had to pull away the hens from under the laurel tree under the hail and carry them one by one to the coop as there were branches falling everywhere, they were in a total panic.
We have lots of damage in the garden and on the property.
This morning I didn't wake up which is exceptional for me so I didn't open the coop at 5.30 but at 6. It was havoc between the hens and the little family. I noticed after they got out Chipie was bleeding in her face, she got pecked very close to her eye. I can't catch her, but it doesn't seem too bad and in the past she has always healed very well from pecks.

Rant tax :
Théo is now best friends with Nougat, who had been chasing and bullying him and Chipie since their arrival. He won her over by tidbitting!
IMG_20220704_100553.jpg

Bye people
IMG_20220704_074950.jpg

Ex-batts hen can lay in funny places too
IMG_20220704_072346.jpg

He monitors every move in the village below for morning gossip
IMG_20220704_072639.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220704_072241.jpg
    IMG_20220704_072241.jpg
    977 KB · Views: 3
We had an unforeseen storm yesterday. It didn't last for more than 30 minutes but with awful gush of wind, thunder and hail all of a sudden. Luckily Chipie had already brought the chicks in the coop. We had to pull away the hens from under the laurel tree under the hail and carry them one by one to the coop as there were branches falling everywhere, they were in a total panic.
We have lots of damage in the garden and on the property.
This morning I didn't wake up which is exceptional for me so I didn't open the coop at 5.30 but at 6. It was havoc between the hens and the little family. I noticed after they got out Chipie was bleeding in her face, she got pecked very close to her eye. I can't catch her, but it doesn't seem too bad and in the past she has always healed very well from pecks.

Rant tax :
Théo is now best friends with Nougat, who had been chasing and bullying him and Chipie since their arrival. He won her over by tidbitting!
View attachment 3174700
Bye people
View attachment 3174701
Ex-batts hen can lay in funny places too
View attachment 3174702
He monitors every move in the village below for morning gossip
View attachment 3174703
another one of those posts of yours that need a wow as well as a love! sorry to hear about the storm; sounds dreadful.

Back
Top Bottom