Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Sold my first bag of chicken shite compost today. I've been hacking it out of the coop run. It's ten inches thick in places! I happened to mention I was hacking it out to one of the allotment holders and they bit my hand off. Filled a 20Kg feed bag and off they went home with it. They want another for their plot this weekend. Apparently good compost is hard to get.

Sunny today.

View attachment 3177582View attachment 3177584
Glad to see there are some real gardeners around who value the chicken shit.
Chickens produce the best manure for plants. Sheep are pretty good too. Horses not so much as they don’t digest the weed seeds.

Easy. 19 hens.
Todays. 2 left in a nest box.
View attachment 3177571
Wow. I have nine hens and they lay on average three or four a day. Sometimes less, very occasionally more. That’s only around between 20 and 30-ish per week. I have three molting right now, and they aren’t laying. Bridge doesn’t ever lay, hasn’t in years, and I don’t think Buttercup does, either. Cashew squats for me, but I’m not sure if she’s laying. That is a concern. I have a 6-year-old, five 5-year-olds, one 3-year-old and two 2-year-olds. Mostly it’s the younger three that are laying, but a couple of the older ones are, too, just less often. One of the 5-year-olds is broody, and two are molting.

Glad to see there are some real gardeners around who value the chicken shit.
Chickens produce the best manure for plants. Sheep are pretty good too. Horses not so much as they don’t digest the weed seeds.
Agree about horse poop BUT horse poop laid out over the winter with chickens scratching through it = pure gold as the chickens suck out most of the weeds. I also put horse poop through my worm farm and they adore the stuff.

Wow. I have nine hens and they lay on average three or four a day. Sometimes less, very occasionally more. That’s only around between 20 and 30-ish per week. I have three molting right now, and they aren’t laying. Bridge doesn’t ever lay, hasn’t in years, and I don’t think Buttercup does, either. Cashew squats for me, but I’m not sure if she’s laying. That is a concern. I have a 6-year-old, five 5-year-olds, one 3-year-old and two 2-year-olds. Mostly it’s the younger three that are laying, but a couple of the older ones are, too, just less often. One of the 5-year-olds is broody, and two are molting.
Your numbers sound about right for the ages of your hens. I've got 6 sexually mature hens, call it 7 with the neighbor's hen. Right now in winter I'm getting 2-3 eggs per day. Sometimes only 1. Mine are between 10 months and 2.5 years old, so still in their peak years. They're pretty dang average ranging to abysmal layers compared to a production red.

Shad is obviously whispering something in their ears when Henry is not looking. :love

My 2 RSL's have laid an egg every day except for 1 since they started laying 4-5 months ago. I absolutely cringe that they never take any days off, I always put them first in line with the lizards and m. worms. They are hardworking foragers thank goodness. I do worry for them.

Something very enjoyable about the smaller eggs to me too. I sell the big and keep the littles. I don't do food banks and I really comment you folks for donating. Big beautiful hearts ♡. I do donate to many neighbors and always look for anyone who may appreciate the help more so than another. Priority goes to those who return my cartons though.

I am a huge fan of horse poop. I add to any and all my compost to speed them up. Those perfectly packed moisture balls can be tossed straight away on your garden but I don't recommend. It has done miracles for our pure sand loam. We actually have worms now- miracles do happen!
We sell to a few vermicomposters who love the stuff.

I think unaged chicken poop is bad to put directly on your garden too. Not just cuz burning... something else I think, pathogens. Just something to think about.

Sold my first bag of chicken shite compost today
how much did you get for it?
Apparently good compost is hard to get
it sure is. A lot of the peat substitutes are awful, and buying them is a real crap shoot because they haven't been in existence long enough yet for people to have formed balanced opinions about which ones are any good in which circumstances.

Sorry to bring you this awful news. There are plastic particles in our meat and milk. The Netherlands exports a lot of milk and meat all over Europe and even further. So it’s very well possible you eat or drink it too.

https://www.plasticsoupfoundation.o...k-mps-study-KEY-messages_final_2022-07-05.pdf

The plastic comes from the feed industry who throw in unsold products from the supermarkets.

They didn’t investigate chickens or chicken feed. Only cows, pigs. And feed for mammals. But there is no reason to believe that chicken feed isn’t contaminated too.

I think I make a new thread with this.
And adding tax for posting a non chicken subject.
E00561EF-6403-4D87-9086-077243366B73.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom