Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Day off today. C was at the allotments and took care of the chickens I hope.
It was warm today, about 27C and I spent the afternoon with my family having a barbecue and playing a bit of badminton.
My eldest has booked a table for a couple of arts and crafts fairs in Bristol which we are going to share. Being a sensible women she has one of those machines that accept credit and debit cards and this definitely increases the chances of making sales.

A few pictures from the past.
PA170086.JPG
P9261859.JPG
PA172010.JPG
PC052159.JPG
PC092187.JPG
PC240336.JPG

It was warm today, about 27C and I spent the afternoon with my family having a barbecue and playing a bit of badminton.
My eldest has booked a table for a couple of arts and crafts fairs in Bristol which we are going to share. Being a sensible women she has one of those machines that accept credit and debit cards and this definitely increases the chances of making sales.

View attachment 3181359View attachment 3181362View attachment 3181363View attachment 3181367View attachment 3181369View attachment 3181370
So chickens on a towel on a chair indorrs aren't pets huh?:gig

:hit
One of my bantam RIRs is missing since yesterday evening. The chickens were free ranging but didn’t go far. Probably some kind of invisible predator. Or a strange and weird cat. No signs of being sick and she laid a beautiful light brown egg that same day.

We couldn’t find her nor any signs of an attack. Nobody in the neighbourhood did see her either.

What came before.
Thursday there was a problem with a threat too. My Janice flew against the window. Don’t know why. But she wasn’t harmed. All chickens ran to the coop and run. Janice was missing for a moment until we spotted her on top of the run. I couldn’t find what caused this problem.

I saw a strange and cheeky cat on friday evening. This was not one of the known neighborhood cats. He came into our house through an open door and immediately went upstairs. So weird. He didn’t look feral . We never had problems with cats before. Therefore I find it hard to believe this strange cat killed my Red.

For the time being, no fee ranging unless I can supervise.

Selling some of your gorgeous wood work? Wish I could visit!

My eldest has booked a table for a couple of arts and crafts fairs in Bristol which we are going to share.
I hope you get many sales Shad! No shipping cost will make that easier. Of course if you sell a lot you'll have to get back to making lamps and sculptures. Not sure where you would get the interesting wood though.

View attachment 3181359View attachment 3181362View attachment 3181363View attachment 3181367View attachment 3181369View attachment 3181370
Sounds like you had a lovely day! Really good idea to share a stand with your eldest daughter. What does she make ? Is it a big craft fair ?

Is it Treacle the rooster ? Théo's colour are very similar.
So chickens on a towel on a chair indorrs aren't pets huh?:gig
They are a scientific study.
:hit
One of my bantam RIRs is missing since yesterday evening. The chickens were free ranging but didn’t go far. Probably some kind of invisible predator. Or a strange and weird cat. No signs of being sick and she laid a beautiful light brown egg that same day.

We couldn’t find her nor any signs of an attack. Nobody in the neighbourhood did see her either.

What came before.
Thursday there was a problem with a threat too. My Janice flew against the window. Don’t know why. But she wasn’t harmed. All chickens ran to the coop and run. Janice was missing for a moment until we spotted her on top of the run. I couldn’t find what caused this problem.

I saw a strange and cheeky cat on friday evening. This was not one of the known neighborhood cats. He came into our house through an open door and immediately went upstairs. So weird. He didn’t look feral . We never had problems with cats before. Therefore I find it hard to believe this strange cat killed my Red.

For the time being, no fee ranging unless I can supervise.
Oh no, I'm really sorry 😔. I would think if the cat took it you would have seen a lot of feathers left, though, cats don't eat birds feathers. Check maybe again today, just in case she hid somewhere ? Also if you find some remains you may be able to understand what kind of predator got to her.

Last edited:
Again ime it's the junior rooster should there be one, who becomes responsible for chicks once their mother finishes teaching and protecting them.
And maybe even before that: I have seen several times now that when Paprika's chicks issue a distress call (beyond the 'agh, you're standing on my toe mum!'), Phoenix appears and comes to see what's occurring. If he sees me and thinks I'm the cause (which usually I am), off he goes again. It seems to me he's assumed responsibility for the chicks already.

It was brewing these last days, Théo has been turning aggressive on us. Two days ago he flew at my partner's arm after he had carried Vanille in his arms. This morning when I opened the coop, he attacked Chipie and the three biggest chicks until he made even Chipie run away, then the smallest chick was left alone in the coop with him. He went towards it and when I stepped between them, he flew at my legs a few times.

I would want to keep him even if he stays aggressive with us, I knew it was a risk getting a cockerel. It's going to be a hard fight with my partner who already isn't fond of him. We don't have kids and very rarely visitors so I think we could handle it and he's much smaller than a standard rooster. If my partner insists to give him away I will ask that we wait until he's 18 months old approximately (we don't know his exact age) since they are supposed to have settled to their definite personality then. I hope I can find some arrangement. I feel guilty as if I missed out something.
Tax : this morning scene with our new second hand tent tested in the background!
IMG_20220711_064628.jpg

Back
Top Bottom