Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

And maybe even before that: I have seen several times now that when Paprika's chicks issue a distress call (beyond the 'agh, you're standing on my toe mum!'), Phoenix appears and comes to see what's occurring. If he sees me and thinks I'm the cause (which usually I am), off he goes again. It seems to me he's assumed responsibility for the chicks already.
I so wish it was the same here 😕

It was brewing these last days, Théo has been turning aggressive on us. Two days ago he flew at my partner's arm after he had carried Vanille in his arms. This morning when I opened the coop, he attacked Chipie and the three biggest chicks until he made even Chipie run away, then the smallest chick was left alone in the coop with him. He went towards it and when I stepped between them, he flew at my legs a few times.

I would want to keep him even if he stays aggressive with us, I knew it was a risk getting a cockerel. It's going to be a hard fight with my partner who already isn't fond of him. We don't have kids and very rarely visitors so I think we could handle it and he's much smaller than a standard rooster. If my partner insists to give him away I will ask that we wait until he's 18 months old approximately (we don't know his exact age) since they are supposed to have settled to their definite personality then. I hope I can find some arrangement. I feel guilty as if I missed out something.
Tax : this morning scene with our new second hand tent tested in the background!
View attachment 3181885
I'm sure Shad can give you some very solid advice on how to deal with him. He really is a rooster whisperer.

Not sure where you would get the interesting wood though.
I have a c.1m long 10cm diameter mulberry log if you're interested; very hard, very heavy, and very yellow. I've kept it because it's too good to burn, but I know I don't have the skills or the tools it's going to need to make it into something beautiful.

I'm sure Shad can give you some very solid advice on how to deal with him. He really is a rooster whisperer.
Is that a real expression like horse whisperer, or something you just made up especially for Shadrach ?

I believe that now he's grown from bullied cockerel to rooster of the flock, he finds we're overstepping. The hens always come running to us, especially when they don't want to be mated by him they come pecking at us.

Last edited:
Is that a real expression like horse whisperer, or something you just made up especially for Shadrach ?

I believe that now he's grown from bullied cockerel to rooster of the flock, he finds we're overstepping. The hens always come running to us, especially when they don't want to be mated by him they come pecking at us.
I don't think I can claim inventive credit for it, I'm sure I've read it before - maybe even as someone's label beneath their name in the frame left of the posts here on BYC :p

Quenell has dustbathing nailed already, and was enjoying the whole tub to him/herself before Uppsala decided to join in :p
P1110591.JPG

So chickens on a towel on a chair indorrs aren't pets huh?:gig
Nope, the towel was always there.
Chickens in the house is called free ranging. They're not stupid creatures and if my house is open and they want a safe space that's as good as it gets.
Just to make the point absolutely clear, we killed and ate the cockerel a couple of months later as we did a number of other chickens.

I know when they sit and hatch that some of the young they hatch I and the rest will eat.

I hope you get many sales Shad! No shipping cost will make that easier. Of course if you sell a lot you'll have to get back to making lamps and sculptures. Not sure where you would get the interesting wood though.
I brought enough interesting wood back from Catalonia to keep me going for a year or so.:D

Back
Top Bottom