Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

It's getting warmer. Time to trun over a couple of the mini weed compost heaps I've got in the allotment run and see what bugs have moved in.
The half inch square mesh arrive shortly after I left to do the chickens. It's Sunday.:confused:

These two sick chickens I've been on about. They're not getting any worse in a hurry. I would say they are looking better if anything. Going to give them both another mite spray this week and when the Iodine arrives, do the one with SLM again.
Got some scrap wood for the door frame, just need the right bit for the lintle. I'm going to have to make struts to the corners of the base to support the doorway. This stuff, despite being 3mm thick wire is not that stiff.

13 in tonight. One hen swaps from the little coop to the new coop.
P8071671.JPG
P8071672.JPG
P8071673.JPG
P8071674.JPG
P8071676.JPG

It's rarely that hot here in the UK but we've had a few over 35C hot days this year. I still wear long sleves and long trousers in the heat. I've seen what sun stroke does. We rescued a few people who jollied off to run in the mountains in stupid temperatures. Had a couple of people die.
How's the humidity? Is it high?

We don't actually know very much about the differences. if there are any, between an incubator hatched chick and a broody hatched chick at the time of hatch. The eggs do survive in some quite extreme environments it seems but is that because the broody does a better job of nest management than an incubator (?)
I found the article very interesting. I think Norwich University did a study on the back of the Brazilian study. I haven't found it anywhere.
I think most of us here think broodies are better incubators, even if we can't say precisely why they do a better job of it. The problem for the industry is the scale; incubators can produce vastly bigger clutches, cheaply enough to more than compensate for the wastage rate.

They are beautiful looking hens.
That's kind @Ribh but I think they're still at the awkward teenager stage!
And, Piou-piou the slow grower hasn't chosen it's gender yet, and Gaston is a cockerel 😉
IMG_20220808_075207.jpg

They all have unique colours and markings! So posh!
I think most of us here think broodies are better incubators, even if we can't say precisely why they do a better job of it. The problem for the industry is the scale; incubators can produce vastly bigger clutches, cheaply enough to more than compensate for the wastage rate.
@TropicalBabies mentioned incubators were better suited for her I believe. And I suppose she has also a very humid environment.
From my sole experience I found that even though I had some worries about the broody and her setting, she took care of everything. I completely relied on her and didn't even candle the eggs. I think I would have been more stressed with an incubator.
@Perris have you ever tried using an incubator ?
I think the benefit of brooder is teaching the peeps teaching them to dig look for bugs teach them get along with flock and such lot's more than you think.
JMHO
Tax View attachment 3215375
Well, that concerns more the part after the hatch, but I really agree with you. I enjoyed so much watching how Chipie raised her chicks , that I found it was almost the best part of having chicks. I really wouldn't want to miss that out! But maybe when you've seen it several dozen of times you don't feel the same.

@Perris have you ever tried using an incubator ?
No, and I don't feel any urge to do so, but maybe I would be tempted if a broody abandoned a nest close to completion (which, thankfully, hasn't happened to me yet).
I enjoyed so much watching how Chipie raised her chicks , that I found it was almost the best part of having chicks. I really wouldn't want to miss that out! But maybe when you've seen it several dozen of times you don't feel the same.
I feel the same way, and the delight hasn't dimmed yet (think we've had 9 hatches to date); watch out - having a broody is infectious! :gig

Back
Top Bottom