Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I think that chickens, like a lot of other animals, are pretty good at self-medicating if they have appropriate stuff growing in their environment.
Something I've believed for a long time. It's a bit like the broody hen eating changes with some. They seem to know they need something that the usual diet doesn't provide I assume.
That says something about the feed and also makes the "feed a higher protein feed" rather difficult.:D

You had one job, Bucket Boy! šŸ˜†
Well, what I keep trying to explain to Henry is I don't have just one job and if he pulled his finger out and found his hens some food, that would take some of the pressure off me.:p
He's a total disaster at this foraging business. He's all nod and call and nothing worth eating.:lol:
Still, they got some scrambled egg and tomatoes this evening, we will pretend Henry got it for them.

Still warm amd dry and forcast for warmer.
I planned to get the fine mesh over to the allotments this afternoon. It wouldn't fit in the shopping trolly:he There is no way I'm carrying 23 kilos plus the 4 kilos or so in the rucksack on and off buses with a half mile walk at the end.:lol:
I'm going to cut it out on the grass at the flats into manageable pieces.

P8081677.JPG

Couldn't quite get the camera over the hens on my lap.
P8081678.JPG

Henry.
P8081681.JPG
P8081682.JPG
P8081683.JPG

I planned to get the fine mesh over to the allotments this afternoon. It wouldn't fit in the shopping trolly:he There is no way I'm carrying 23 kilos plus the 4 kilos or so in the rucksack on and off buses with a half mile walk at the end.:lol:

View attachment 3216125

View attachment 3216126
Henry.
View attachment 3216127View attachment 3216128View attachment 3216129
šŸ˜®You got a couple of moulters in there?

Construction workers and other laborers who spend a good deal of time in the sun here will often wear long sleeves, hats, sunglasses, etc. Pants and workbooks are required by safety laws, but long sleeves are better than a lot of people thing at keeping the effects of heat and sun exposure at bay. The irony is evident when you see people walking past said construction project wearing practically nothing.

I live in a semi-arid area, and 50% humidity or above seems muggy and feels hard to breathe to me! Funny how we adapt. If you do end up going on the trip to Mexico, pack lotion for keeping dry itchy skin at bay and some handkerchiefs or tissues you can get to easily. Itā€™s common to have nosebleeds when going from higher humidity to lower. Saline nose sprays and using a humidifier in your hotel room at night (if thatā€™s an option) may help.

My husband tends to get them when fall, which tends to be more rainy and humid, transitions to winter, where temperatures hover around freezing with quite low humidity. Itā€™s not a huge difference in humidity, like mid-40ā€™s to low 20ā€™s, but he also gets nosebleeds easily and the change just exacerbates it.

Tax:
Those are good tips for managing in the dry heat, thank you! And yeah, summer here at work I wear long sleeves, pants, hat, sunglasses, and leather work boots. I actually think it's definitely cooler than being in short sleeves, I would prefer not to be wearing the boots though! We have a lot of staff from the pacific islands and their theory on heat management is to stay covered, sweat more and drink a lot of water. They're right. I shake my head at the uni students we get, in their crop tops and short shorts. I work in commercial orchards.

View attachment 3216125

View attachment 3216126
Henry.
View attachment 3216127View attachment 3216128View attachment 3216129
Henry looks good in those pics.

Back
Top Bottom