Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I
That is a truth I don't believe I've seen written on the boards before.
When I see these rooster bashing threads I just want to keep these people with me for a month and show them exactly what these useless roosters do for their hens. Seriously, it's like being sentenced to a life time of mall shopping with your wife (if applicable) or in my case my eldest.:lol:
love having roosters but sometimes have to limit who free range together

If someone prepared the corpse for you would you eat him?
For now, if it were a friend who performed it with care and thoughtfulness, I would probably try a bite and discover I couldn't go further.

I comprehend the reason and substance of your argument, but my worldview isn't quite there yet.

One thing about hatcheries, if they didn’t exist many breeds of chickens would be extinct or very difficult to acquire for small farmers or backyard flock owners.
I don't know which foot leads. Do the hatcheries tell the breeders which breeds they want or do the breeders say we've got this, this and this?

Now here's a thing. I think chickens should be difficult to aquire. Perhaps if people had to search for a few months for the breed they want they might place a higher value on it's life.
I think you are right, some breeds would go extinct quite rapidly. I'm not sure this would be a bad thing.

I know the person to whom you are referring. She is devastated all the way around. She did it primarily to protect the rest of her livestock. While I disagree with her decision, it was not made lightly or out of malice. I feel similarly about roosters who are killed to be eaten or because they are "unneeded", but I do not judge. I hated seeing dogs for sale for meat in Asia when I was there, but I did not judge. I felt the same when I saw farmed horse meat in some parts of Europe. Folks shoot dogs pretty frequently when they kill livestock. I hate the decision. Not the person.
Most farmers I've known kill any dog that attacks livestock. I think I would to now. I know shepherds who have had a litters from sheep dogs. Not all dogs it seems can be trained for the job. Those that proved unreliable got shot. It's been that way for generations. I have no opinion on it one way or the other. There are good arguements on both sides

Back
Top Bottom