Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

This is the dog I was frustrated with earlier this spring but she is coming along nicely. It was a slow task overcoming her nature but she loves to please and is a very sweet dog.
Huskies are difficult dogs to train to be other creature friendly. We had a Husky in Catalonia. She got trained by the dog already there.
My eldest has a Husky.

@Shadrach here are 2 of my youngest roosters and they share the same tribeView attachment 3222418View attachment 3222420
I am always going to have a soft spot for naked necks.

Skeksis is going through an uncomfortable looking molt right now. She has still laid 2 eggs this week though.
20220813_195145.jpg

I don't know which foot leads. Do the hatcheries tell the breeders which breeds they want or do the breeders say we've got this, this and this?

Now here's a thing. I think chickens should be difficult to aquire. Perhaps if people had to search for a few months for the breed they want they might place a higher value on it's life.
I think you are right, some breeds would go extinct quite rapidly. I'm not sure this would be a bad thing.
😕Then there would be no more Campines very quickly. They're only average layers. They go over fences. They scream blue murder & go broody in weird places. I get why most people don't want to keep them but I think they are wonderful birds & the world would be poorer for their loss.

The problem, quite simply, is people put egg production before the birds themselves. We see it all the time all over these boards. People buy the high production breeds. Personally I think that's what should be banned & anyone who breeds or keeps them should be penalised. Make it unattractive to keep the high production hens. There are so many wonderful breeds or mottlies that the other is completely unnecessary. I got eggs all winter, though production was way down, & I have no high production breeds.

😕Then there would be no more Campines very quickly. They're only average layers. They go over fences. They scream blue murder & go broody in weird places. I get why most people don't want to keep them but I think they are wonderful birds & the world would be poorer for their loss.

The problem, quite simply, is people put egg production before the birds themselves. We see it all the time all over these boards. People buy the high production breeds. Personally I think that's what should be banned & anyone who breeds or keeps them should be penalised. Make it unattractive to keep the high production hens. There are so many wonderful breeds or mottlies that the other is completely unnecessary. I got eggs all winter, though production was way down, & I have no high production breeds.
What about those of us who love them and want to give them better lives? One of my favorite birds ever was a red sexlink. I gave her a good life for the few years I had her after rescuing her. Penalizing owners? Idk.

Back
Top Bottom