Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

@Shadrach, I had a cheap tarp over part of my run. The tarp lasted about 9 months; better than I thought it would. It broke down in the sun and you could see tiny holes in it.

I replaced it with a black/silver tarp, probably similar to the one you linked to. I've used that kind of tarp before over a different part of the run, and it held up VERY well. (It's covering a woodpile now.) I'm thinking this new one will last 2-3 years, easily.

It also has about twice as many grommet holes as the cheap one, so it can be tied down more securely.
It would be handy to have the light that the clear ploy tarp gives but I'm going for the heavier weight I posted. It will cover both coop and coop run and I'm hoping for some themal gains above the coop in particular because the tarp will be an inch or so above the plasic roof supported on battens silver side down.:confused:

Are you sure no other hen laid an egg in Venca’s nest?
There is one other hen that lays a similar colour egg, but hers are smaller and a different shape, and besides, she was broody at the time with chicks, so yes, I am sure that the five tinted eggs were Venka's. I added a light brown one and a blue one. The blue links with a pea comb, so that chick is easy to identify (the mostly black one) so one of the two non-pure sfh brown ones must be from the brown egg, and the other must be Venka's with alternative breed roo.

I bought one of these about a month ago, and I'm pleased with it, though it hasn't had chance to stand the test of time or winter storms yet https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082Y8G295/ref=pe_27063361_487055811_TE_3p_dp_1?th=1
It's exposed here so I needed something strong and easily secured, and I wanted to let light through, and this was the best I could find. There are eyelets every 50cm as well as reinforced corners and the incorporated mesh, and it's nearly twice the thickness of the one you were looking at. And it comes in a huge variety of sizes, so you'll probably find one just right for your needs.

I bought one of these about a month ago, and I'm pleased with it, though it hasn't had chance to stand the test of time or winter storms yet https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082Y8G295/ref=pe_27063361_487055811_TE_3p_dp_1?th=1
It's exposed here so I needed something strong and easily secured, and I wanted to let light through, and this was the best I could find. There are eyelets every 50cm as well as reinforced corners and the incorporated mesh, and it's nearly twice the thickness of the one you were looking at. And it comes in a huge variety of sizes, so you'll probably find one just right for your needs.
From what I can gather one can expect most of the medium weight pvc tarps to last a year, maybe two.
The long term answer if one is going to stick with a tarpaulin is to buy a proper truck style canvas or ripstop tarp. They're expensive. I bought 6m x 4m truck tarp in Spain to cover the hay rack and it was close to a couple of hundred pounds.
I can't see a tarp being the long term answer for this coop.

Back
Top Bottom