Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Something completely different: Did you know that there are factory farms with over 100.000 chickens!
Yesterday a chicken meat company in the North of the Netherlands with 102.150 chicks was ‘cleared’ . :sick

7033B935-E997-435A-9816-585880907F09.png

And now the ministry has sharpened the rules again. Not only because of this. But also because a worker in a chicken farm in Spain got sick with HPAI (contagious bird flu). He recovered and didn’t effect another human. The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) is afraid it might happen one of these days.

do you know what excess salt does to a chicken's system? There's loads of info out there on deficiencies in the diet, but very little I've found as yet on excesses.
Not really. I know they need some but percentage wise it's much less than humans need. It's not what the stuff is, more the thinking behind it, or rather the motivation behind the thinking.

Something completely different: Did you know that there are factory farms with over 100.000 chickens!
Yesterday a chicken meat company in the North of the Netherlands with 102.150 chicks was ‘cleared’ . :sick

View attachment 3281898

And now the ministry has sharpened the rules again. Not only because of this. But also because a worker in a chicken farm in Spain got sick with HPAI (contagious bird flu). He recovered and didn’t effect another human. The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) is afraid it might happen one of these days.
Chicken death statistics are truely horrifying.

Windy and chilly today with the usual constant 10mph to 15mph wind blowing up the Avon valley. Got a few 25mph gusts apparently. It didn't rain while I was at the allotments.
Henry went to roost in the old coop with Matilda and the two usual Legbars but Lima got on the outside roost bar all on her own.:hitI put her in with Henry; she came back out and got on the roost bar. I put her on a bar in the new coop; she came back out and got on the roost bar. I picked her up again; she's lovely and warm and explained to her that she would get cold out there on her own and she was to roost in one coop or the other whether she thought she would fine, or not. I put her next to Henry in the old coop and she settled down after a few complaints.
I hope the tarpaulin and other bits show up tomorrow. Hopefully once the tarpaulin is on the wind problem will be sorted out and Henry and company will roost underneath it.
While the sun still shone.
PA050362.JPG
PA050365.JPG
PA050364.JPG
PA050366.JPG

When the sun went behind the tree line and the wind picked up.
PA050363.JPG

Economy of scale is very hard to argue about if people want cheap meat.
I don’t think so, if people realise that the price of cheap meat is poor health and new diseases. And many people wouldn’t buy cheap meat either if they see/experience the horrifying way these animals are treated.

The governments should make it obligatory to put stickers on such meat like the one they put on cigarettes.

The governments should make it obligatory to put stickers on such meat like the one they put on cigarettes.
This exactly. Why we buy from local small-scale humane farmers. I haven’t bought meat in a grocery store in over 3 years.

Quick question, it’s not a true chicken emergency but looking for some advice. I pulled some dying bean vines and threw them in the run in a big pile for my girls while I was at work. After a day or two, my French Marans had a slight limp. Nothing horrible, just a little hop when she walks so she is slightly favoring one leg. My guess is since she likes to scratch, she caught her foot on the vine…I feel bad about it. I checked her for bumblefoot and saw nothing. Three days in and it doesn’t look any worse. She is still roosting (my bars are only about 15 inches off the coop floor), and she has roosted on the 3 foot bar in the run also. Is there anything I can do? How long do you think it will take her to heal? I don’t want to remove her from her friends especially since it doesn’t seem too serious right now and she is getting along fine. Thanks for your expert advice!

Tax: (garden clean out)
1665022859633.jpeg

This exactly. Why we buy from local small-scale humane farmers. I haven’t bought meat in a grocery store in over 3 years.

Quick question, it’s not a true chicken emergency but looking for some advice. I pulled some dying bean vines and threw them in the run in a big pile for my girls while I was at work. After a day or two, my French Marans had a slight limp. Nothing horrible, just a little hop when she walks so she is slightly favoring one leg. My guess is since she likes to scratch, she caught her foot on the vine…I feel bad about it. I checked her for bumblefoot and saw nothing. Three days in and it doesn’t look any worse. She is still roosting (my bars are only about 15 inches off the coop floor), and she has roosted on the 3 foot bar in the run also. Is there anything I can do? How long do you think it will take her to heal? I don’t want to remove her from her friends especially since it doesn’t seem too serious right now and she is getting along fine. Thanks for your expert advice!

Tax: (garden clean out)
View attachment 3282186
Chickens pulling muscles and even tendons was a regular problem with the tribes.
One has to make a judgement on the severity of the injury. In general if they were still keeping up with the tribe I used to have a good look at them, feeling for heat or a lump at hip and knee joints. If it all felt good, I left them to it and in a few days time the limp went.
A couple had quite serious pulls, to the point I was worried they had dislocated something. I brougt these into the house and put them in a pet carrier with folded towls on the base. I used to let them roam around the house for an hour or two and then put them back in the pet carrier. Given they were in and out of my house all day this didn't put them under much stress and they rested the limb much more than they would have done out and about with their tribe. I think I had Mora in for two or three days before she looked able enough to be running around.
There isn't much else one can do and a dislocation really needs a good avian vet to put right.
I think the advice one would get from a doctor (well, I know it is:lol:) is keep the limb warm and rest it as much as possible.

If you were considering giving the hen something for the pain I wouldn't. The pain helps the chicken rest the limb. If the pain isn't there they will try to carry on as normal and cause further problems.

Back
Top Bottom