Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I have a question in that regard. My coop as I've mentioned before is a vaulted ceiling around 20m2 / 215 sq feet and all the birds can shelter confortably. For those of you who have small coop types, like Shadrach or Perris, do your chickens ever shelter or go willingly in the coop during the day ?
I’ve only seen my chickens in the coop for a few minutes here & there. I have an 8x8 coop for 10 birds, so plenty of space. If we aren’t home, they are confined to the coop & run. The run has leaf litter, high & low perches, a dust bath box, and usually a spent plant or two that I throw in. The food & water are only in the run, not the coop. I am glad, I feel like the fresh air is better for them. I try to make sure there is plenty to do during the day. I will throw small bits of cracked corn in the leaf pile too, and that will keep them busy for quite awhile, scratching and searching. Most days, they get at least an hour out in the garden with me, more on days that I am off.

I was always amazed that the Brexit vote was a simple majority
we have it to elect politicians, first past the post, so it was appropriate.
Even within democracy you can recognize that some decisions cannot easily be undone
Indeed, but some people who find themselves in a minority don't accept a majority vote and just keep banging on to rerun it till they do impose their will, Nicola Sturgeon, for example. The referendum the Scots nationalists already had (and lost) was stated very clearly to be a once in a generation vote. People won't take any of them seriously if they can be overthrown a few years later, and then we'd be on a very slippery slope.

All govts make mistakes. The most important thing to me is that they are accountable for their actions, and can be thrown out. The EU has quite a democratic deficit. I don't understand American politics, so don't even hazard on view on that! :lol:

we have it to elect politicians, first past the post, so it was appropriate.

Indeed, but some people who find themselves in a minority don't accept a majority vote and just keep banging on to rerun it till they do impose their will, Nicola Sturgeon, for example. The referendum the Scots nationalists already had (and lost) was stated very clearly to be a once in a generation vote. People won't take any of them seriously if they can be overthrown a few years later, and then we'd be on a very slippery slope.

All govts make mistakes. The most important thing to me is that they are accountable for their actions, and can be thrown out. The EU has quite a democratic deficit. I don't understand American politics, so don't even hazard on view on that! :lol:
No comment.
I really quite enjoy BYC and anything I might say at this point is sure to get me thrown out.

This is a chicken. She is providing cover for my political posts. Her name is Bernadette.

1102C752-552D-4CFD-A9B7-9BB368297AB6.jpeg

talking of which (chickens :D) did you get to that bit (in the paper I posted on a separate thread) about variety of foods as a good thing? And a family life? The conditions for a life worth living seem a long way indeed from the recommendations of yesteryear - or indeed the still current advice on how to reduce stress or illness in the flock.

I have a question in that regard. My coop as I've mentioned before is a vaulted ceiling around 20m2 / 215 sq feet and all the birds can shelter confortably. For those of you who have small coop types, like Shadrach or Perris, do your chickens ever shelter or go willingly in the coop during the day ? Shadrach I understand they don't really have a choice, but when you get to the allotment, are they dispatched between the coop and the run, or do they all stay in the run ?
Once they get into the allotment run the only reason they go into the coop itself is to lay an egg generally. I think this is common with most chickens. They shelter under the coop and in the new extension now in bad weather but not in the coop.

I might just do that. Though it feels a bit daunting.
I was always amazed that the Brexit vote was a simple majority. Even within democracy you can recognize that some decisions cannot easily be undone and impact people as yet too young to have a vote and give a higher threshold to a passing vote (2/3 vs 1/2 - so gloriously easy in base 12!)
People who were involved and knew Cameron say he didn't dream that leave would be the majority vote. It was put to the vote to pacify the euro sceptics in the Tory party.

Back
Top Bottom