Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

What a beautiful egg! Congratulations to Dyffryn! (Autocorrect does NOT like her name)

Einstein is full Spitzhauben, and hopefully a pullet. Curie, the other Spitz my sister got, looks to be male, and the two Schjindelaar chicks she got were both male. Odds didn’t work in her favor, but she then found the two Wyandotte chicks, which were ordered by the chicken hoarder sexed by the hatchery. They both seem to be pullets so far, so we shall see.
Wow, you have Schijndelaar chickens! They are a new breed from the Netherlands. I thought it was not allowed to take eggs from Europe to the US.

Last edited:
Wow, you have Schijndelaar chickens! They are a new breed from the Netherlands. I thought it was not allowed to take eggs from Europe to the US.
Greenfire Farms is a farm/small hatchery here that has made a reputation for itself importing high quality rare/unusual breeds, mostly from Europe. I’m not sure if there are others that have gone through the complicated import process, so the gene pool here is pretty limited. Both the Schijndelaar and Spitzhauben’s my sister got were from a local breeder we found advertising on the classified ads. I was sad that both Schijndelaar’s were boys, I’ve heard good things about them.

Gorgeous birds, great camouflage! Chamois is highly desirable to my eye.
Welsh y is 'uh' rather than I sound, at least in Dyffryn's case, and Ystrad's. But it's 'ih' in Ynys Mon (welsh name for Anglesey). I'm not sure of the reason for the variance.
I don’t love buff on the whole bird, but patterned I like it too, and it does make for good camouflage here, especially with the mix of snow and dead grasses.

I’m sure there’s some sort of linguistic rule somewhere that explains when it’s an ‘uh’ and when it’s an ‘ih’!

Greenfire Farms is a farm/small hatchery here that has made a reputation for itself importing high quality rare/unusual breeds, mostly from Europe. I’m not sure if there are others that have gone through the complicated import process, so the gene pool here is pretty limited. Both the Schijndelaar and Spitzhauben’s my sister got were from a local breeder we found advertising on the classified ads. I was sad that both Schijndelaar’s were boys, I’ve heard good things about them.
The Schijndelaars look great. The white chickens have long tails and lay green eggs. The original breeder is from a village called Schijndel in NL. This I know by remembering.

I did a search and found a good article on a thrust worth site. Google can easily translate from Dutch with maybe a few wrong words.
https://www.levendehave.nl/dierenwikis/algemeen/schijndelaar
I can look for more Dutch articles if you are interested. (Pb).

Maybe nice to post the info from Levende Have in a breed review on BYC.

Last edited:
Some info on contaminations in the last month /2 months.
1 found contaminated wild birds:
View attachment 3338591
2 BYC chickens and other poultry up to 50.
View attachment 3338594
3 contaminated factory poultry farms with numbers.

https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/vogelgriep/besmettingen-vogelgriep-bij-bedrijvenView attachment 3338595
🙁
This inevitably reminded me of all the never-ending covid lockdowns in China. NEVER-ENDING. Dogs were killed because people cannot be outside to walk them or people be taken away to quarantine.

IMG_20221029_122200.jpg
meimeibutt1029.jpg

Back
Top Bottom