Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

After reading your post a few times, I’m sad and relieved all at the same time after reading your post Shad. I know how much time and effort you put in. But if there is no support when you can’t be there…I think you might be right.

Assuming you find good homes for them, that is. It’s very sad that there isn’t someone reliable who will step up and help. I think it could have been reasonable at a smaller number, but the continued additions without continued financial and/or time from anyone else has made it very difficult. As someone with a small flock, I get frustrated by the lack of light & weather conditions, and they are at my home where I am every day. (Yea I am one of the crazies that will sit on a stool in the freezing cold or pouring rain with my ladies). I can’t imagine adding travel by unreliable public transport to the allotment, along with travel back home every evening. You have put so much time into it.

I wonder if there is any way you could keep a few birds in the allotments in the run with the new constraints, or if that would even be an option. Hopefully someone will screen any potential new owners and find loving, responsible homes.

You have done these birds such a service, providing their favorite time of the day, and the ability to wander about and “be chickens”. You have fed them, medicated them, sheltered them…and given them more than anyone else in their lives.

I find myself tearing up and now I’m talking in circles. Communication through writing is not one of my strongpoints. I hope what I meant to say is conveyed well enough….and I’m very sorry this is happening the way it is.

I don't think it would make much difference how many chickens there are if the will to care for them properly is missing.

Yes, in so many ways.

Heartbreaking for the chickens.

Heartbreaking for the utter disrespect of what Shad's done to improve the lives of the hens.

Heartbreaking that C can't recognise the limits of their abilities/availability and relinquish control to others. Imagine how relieved C would be if they let others take over.
Well this is it. It's the relinquish control.

I’m really sorry for all of this drama. Getting rid of the chickens and geese seems like a knee jerk reaction to your going and asking for (and succeeding in) getting funds to make further improvements for the chickens’ situation. Having seen various forms of mental illness in my family, I can see how that would have really set C off. To be clear, I don’t think you should have done anything differently, I’m just not surprised that it happened.

If you have access to someone with legal experience, I’d be curious to get their take on the situation. If the field has some sort of protected status that is holding off the land from getting developed, then surely there must be some sort of bylaws that would indicate how the land is to be managed. More specifically, if one person (C) is allowed to make the decisions or if it should be done by consensus.

While I doubt at the moment that C would be willing to consider this, if the number of chickens could be reduced so as to bring the fields back into compliance with regulations, that would be worth considering. Not only will it be difficult to find homes for these chickens, it will also be incredibly stressful for them. Rehoming roosters is potentially more difficult than an old hen, poor Henry. C was the person who made the decision to take on more birds here than was allowed, which makes me wonder why she decided to do something like that in the first place.

What will come of the coop and other materials? If they were donated, will they be returned to the donors? Will they be sold? Who will get the money and what will it be used for if they are sold? When C is forced to confront these questions, I wonder if she will change her mind.

Other questions I have: who will decide where the chickens are rehomed to? Does the ex-batt rescue organization take chickens back? Will a Shadrach without chickens to care for be happy? The last one is the question that hurts my heart the most, because I know how much you love being around chickens. On top of your family being sick with Covid, this is a tough blow.

I have learned so much (chicken and off-topic alike) from this thread, I would be sad to see it end.
Man, that was my first thought. The mental illness. The need to 'punish' someone for questioning their 'authority' is what this looks like to me. I agree with seeking legal advice or at least researching to see if C's statements are truthful.

From this combination of comments I take it that C and other group members still like the idea of keeping chickens, and some already have some in their gardens. But even those people won't promise to come to the allotments to feed the crew in the morning and the afternoon when you can't. Have I got that right?
Yes, you have it right.
There are three different things here. Have you seen evidence of any or all 3 of them being statements of fact, or are they just speculation?
The new DEFRA regulations is speculation because the new recommendations haven't been published yet. The recommendatons are not going to become more lax and they are already restrictive.

The threat to prosecute in event the regulations are breached is fact. The ability to make sure the regulations are adhered to is very unlikely and for the private keeper I doubt enforcable.

The council have made it quite clear in the past they want to build on the plot so it's as fact as far as intention but perhaps not the ability at the moment.

I do hope Shadrach or people from the allotment group will find a home for these chickens, where he can help and visit.
And where the coop he build can be transported to on healthy soil.

Of course it won’t be easy bc it’s not possible to add them to an existing flock with the parasites the flock is struggling with. But maybe someone who has a large gaden will enjoy a rooster and about 6-10 hens (depending on C).
And visits from some kind of vagabond (looking as one) who is pleased to help on many days. And top of the cherry cake, I’d like it if its somewhere pretty close to the flat, so travelling won’t be an issue anymore.

It’s going to be Xmass soon, so do make you’re wishlist in the WhatsApp group Shad. Not mine for you but you’re own and don’t hesitate to ask. I’m sure you have a couple of real friends in that group. Or make a new group and invite all the people you like/gave you some money to help with the costs.
I don't think Father Christmas does irritant removal.:D

Goodness. I am struck dumb and not sure what to think about this.
Just for clarity, the two people who have asked you to help care for their chickens, those are different chickens that they already have in their gardens? Or are they saying they will adopt some of the allotment chickens?
I honestly don't know whether I feel sorry or relieved about the direction - but I know it must be quite disturbing for you personally so I feel for that, and of course am anxious for Henry and his gang.
If C totally melts down is there any way to get the smallholding license into someone else's hands?
What a mess.
:hugs
They already have their own chickens.

I don't know and it's not something I would want to be involved in.

Ex Batts good morning one and all!

What a drastic decision C has made.

Is she serious or is she just threatening.

57 fog 91% humidity feels like 57 Rain 1%.

Have a great day!
Only time will tell. I'm way past second guessing what people will do.

New chicken keeper here lurking. I found this thread and it’s fascinating! I’m up to page 39 lol

@Shadrach I keep thinking about the 400-year-old colony of now-feral Spanish chickens at Saint Augustine, FL. I lived there 2017-2019 and they were just running wild in a couple of neighborhoods.Don’t know who here is aware or interested in old stock & their behavior.

Here is my tax: Honey the EE Welsummer? cockerel at 2 m.o.
Hello Cat Ballou.:)

Back
Top Bottom