Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

We are buying a house in NJ. Sellers just accepted our offer. :hit

Bergen county
I'll probably T off a few people but .... I looked where that is and :sick population hell. I think my car might fall in the ocean on the way.

Condolences
:oops:

At least you know there are some nice BYC people in New Jersey.

I'll probably T off a few people but .... I looked where that is and :sick population hell. I think my car might fall in the ocean on the way.

Condolences
:oops:

At least you know there are some nice BYC people in New Jersey.
I don't live in Bergen County - but what is it about it that makes it population hell? Just too many people? I think it is densly populated though I haven't really spent much time there.

Yes, nearly a million people in the county and right in the 20 million people NYC metro area.

But I'm glad they (@no fly zone excepted) want to live there and not here ;) I moved away from So. Cal (not too far south of Los Angeles) when I graduated college. 9.5 million in the LA metro area then, 12.5M now. All buildings and roads. Traffic that can't move. hell - to me.

Yes, nearly a million people in the county and right in the 20 million people NYC metro area.

But I'm glad they (@no fly zone excepted) want to live there and not here ;) I moved away from So. Cal (not too far south of Los Angeles) when I graduated college. 9.5 million in the LA metro area then, 12.5M now. All buildings and roads. Traffic that can't move. hell - to me.
Got it. I am more in the middle of nowhere.

Well there have to be some places in New Jersey that aren't population hell, unless it was termed the "Garden State" before many people lived there.
Yup. I have many old fruit trees left over from when NJ supplied NY City with produce. And there is still real agriculture in parts of the state.

Well there have to be some places in New Jersey that aren't population hell, unless it was termed the "Garden State" before many people lived there.
Yep, and that's where I chose to live. Many years ago in an economics class a professor kept talking about the coming Megalopolis - the entire Eastern seaboard - it's pretty much arrived.

Today I let the chickens free range.
When I was feeding some leftovers and scratch, a few hours later, they where already inside the run. The chickens panicked for a moment when I wanted to close the doors. To my surprise one of our neighbour cats came out of the run.

@no fly zone So glad to hear Skeksis had a good diagnosis! Good luck in NJ, we have some friends in Bergen Co.
👍
@Shadrach its been cold here too, low tonight of -9C (I googled to see what it would be as it is 16F). I was home with DS the last few days (battling a cold so no school), & although I opened the door from the run to the garden for the girls, they took one look at the snow and refused to come out. I sat in the run with them for 20 minute increments which was about all I could handle…so cold! My Welsummer did jump on my lap which warmed me a bit lol.
It’s cold here too. Last night -9 C. During the day up to 0 C.
@BDutch I wish there was more non-hatchery availability here also. There are a few local breeders, but none sell sexed birds. If my neighborhood allowed roosters I would try English Orpingtons, as there is a breeder nearby!
If you have a large garden like you have, it should not be a problem to have a rooster. What do your neighbours say about having a rooster?

Here the general Rule in the villages/city: you can have a rooster as long as neihgbours don’t complain. Asking in advance is common sense.
And if you have chicks from natural breeding, you always get too many roosters , unless you hit the jackpot.
So I try to give them away for free. Wich is no problem as long ad they are heritage breeds.

Back
Top Bottom