Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Hail, rain storms, drizzle, wind and it's got colder.
About an hour out between the downpours.
Feeder was empty when I got there but I left a couple of hundred grams in the feeder last night so even if C didn't feed them any more they will have had something before I got there.

P1070030.JPG

Rainbow.
P1070032.JPG

Sitting on the roost bar as the hail came down.
P1070036.JPG
P1070033.JPG

They are using the main coop during the days when the weather is bad. They go in and out. Henry gave up on the day early and settled down to get warm and dry.
P1070035.JPG
P1070034.JPG

or the variety of carrot called Deep purple - I grew that last year and discovered it dyes everything it's cooked with that colour (deep purple) - nice for a carrot-cum-red-velvet-cake, not so nice for a beef stew :th

I have a recipe for borscht that I love. My kids call it pink soup because of the bright shade it turns when you add sour cream.
I made mashed potatoes with purple potatoes once since we didn’t have any white or yellow. They were delicious, although we were all reluctant to try the greyish/lavender mush. 😂
I usually stick to roasting my purple ones, or put in soups/stews, we had a similar experience with weirdly colored mash. :gig

My ISA Browns haven’t stopped to molt, but they are very slowly regrowing feathers. I’ve been seeing them on their neck and shoulders. I wish they’d just take a break and molt, except it’s January and naked chickens during the coldest part of the year isn’t something I want either. It’s fascinating to me that they’re molting so differently. I got two eggs this morning - one pretty freed one from Saoirse and an abnormally large and dark one with a heavy bloom from Desdemona. It had the little swirl on the pointy end that her eggs always have, and I checked all my lighter brown egg layers and her bones are the only ones far apart enough to indicate she’d be laying. I guess getting everything back online for laying will always result in a few odd ones.

Attachments

• 282C3D03-9137-4497-A4AE-982AEEBCA373.jpeg
    282C3D03-9137-4497-A4AE-982AEEBCA373.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom