Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

Just looking out for my girls, we hav a mouse situation here. They just got in again. I have someone coming around tomorrow to help me figure this out.

Agatha is amazing, she was stood on the coop door keeping them out she's so tired and I am very proud of her. :love View attachment 2907398

The coop door is now closed. But it's official, my battery escapes have most definitely got their positions in the diva flock.

Princess diva, was on patrol last night, tonight it's Agathas turn.
I miss my Agatha and flexi

No, not humor. It's a statement of fact.
I started off with 26 and between relocation and death I'm left with five. I didn't get much of a say in any of it and neither did the chickens.
Add two I knew quite well of my sisters chickens. At my sisters I spend much of the day with the chickens there.
Say 23 chickens in the last eighteen months.
They were all my friends. I know they were my friends because they were who I chose to spend my time with.
My apologies. It is a tough road.
Shad I’m shocked they didn’t eat the rice. My chickens go crazy if there’s a little rice leftover for them. C’s must have been awful! 😂
I had the same reaction. I'm not very good at cooking rice, especially french rice which is very starchy and can turn mushy and uncooked at the same time. The chickens still love it! My guess is C.'s rice had turned off ...or they refused because they don't like her.
Surprisingly those that don't mind getting wet don't seem any the worse for it the next morning.
There is a very important exception to this; mother hens with young chicks. In a sudden downpour the mother may not be able to get the chicks to shelter Bear in mind that a chicks feathers give zero protection from the rain. If the mother can't move them, then she will shelter them where she stands. This means opening her wings and both sides of her body underneath her wings tends to get wet. This is the one place you do not want a chicken to get wet and cold.
I almost lost a hen called Tan for exactly this reason. She had stood in the open with her three chicks under her for over an hour before I found them and she could hardly stand.
Very interesting! Among the things I found incredible watching for the first time Chipie, my broody, raise chicks was the uncanny way in which she took them to shelter in the coop ten minutes before each of the three really violent storms we had. Sheltering in the coop wasn't easy for tiny broody Chipie as she was rejected by both the rooster and the ex-batts. Since she is so tiny, I believe reading what you write that she knew she would not be able to shelter them from the rain under her wings.
I miss my Agatha and flexi
:hugs :hugs :hugs:hugs:hugs

Our cherry tree has started blossoming three days ago. I keep thinking about when my partner told me last year that he was going to give Vanille all the cherries she wanted because she wouldn't see a fourth cherry season. ( I was probably reminding him of the sacred 10% commandment on the BYC table of the laws).

Tax : Chipie and her ten days old chicks
IMG_20220616_084534.jpg

Back
Top Bottom